David L

Default move cell contents

Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a formula. ex:
if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5? Also, I am using
=INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names from a list.
I have the formula in different place pick random names from different list.
This does work, but I have different list with some of the same names and
with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.
--
Thanks for any and all help.
Davidl
JulieD

Hi David

a formula can only affect the cell it is in, it can't move or change another
cell for this you need some code ...

from what i gather you've got two lists from which you're picking random
names, however, sometimes you get a duplicated name when you combine the
results of the two lists and you don't want this to happen? if this is the
case, i don't understand how moving a name from g5 to j5 will help?

--
Cheers
JulieD
"David L" wrote in message
Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a formula.
ex:
if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5? Also, I am using
=INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names from a
list.
I have the formula in different place pick random names from different
list.
This does work, but I have different list with some of the same names and
with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.
--
Thanks for any and all help.
Davidl

Gord Dibben

David

Formulas can return results but not "move" contents to other cells.

You would require a formula in J5 to show the results of G5.

Moving cell contents can be done through VBA code.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:37:02 -0700, "David L"
wrote:

Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a formula. ex:
if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5? Also, I am using
=INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names from a list.
I have the formula in different place pick random names from different list.
This does work, but I have different list with some of the same names and
with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.

David L

Hi Julie,
You are right about the duplicate names. Actually, I have several list to
pick from. I have a front page. It has 17 different locations I need names
to go into. Each list I randomly pick from has its own catogory. The
different catogories contain some of the same names. I need to pick a random
name from each catogory and not have them duplicate the same name within the
17 locations. If there is a vba code that can be written, I would appericate
the help and instructions own how to use the code within the worksheet.

Thanks again,
David L

"David L" wrote in message
Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a formula.
ex:
if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5? Also, I am using
=INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names from a
list.
I have the formula in different place pick random names from different
list.
This does work, but I have different list with some of the same names and
with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.
--
Thanks for any and all help.
Davidl

JulieD

Hi David

this could be difficult, as any code that i can envisage running would cause
the sheet to recalculate - which means that it would change all of the 17
names not just the duplicated ones (that's if all 17 of them are populated
by a formula in the cell) .. a solution, therefore (from my knowledge base
anyway) would be a macro that keeps running until all 17 locations have
unique names in them, would that be an option .. however, basically, apart
from the fact you have to check all 17 manually, you could achieve the same
by pressing the F9 key ......... so, do you think a macro like this would be
useful?
--
Cheers
JulieD

"David L" wrote in message
Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a formula.
ex:
if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5? Also, I am using
=INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names from a
list.
I have the formula in different place pick random names from different
list.
This does work, but I have different list with some of the same names
and
with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.
--
Thanks for any and all help.
Davidl

David L

Julie,
I do believe that would help. Can you give me an example of how to do this?
I can and the macro to a button to recaluclate the cells.
Thanks,
David

"David L" wrote in message
Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a formula.
ex:
if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5? Also, I am using
=INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names from a
list.
I have the formula in different place pick random names from different
list.
This does work, but I have different list with some of the same names
and
with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.
--
Thanks for any and all help.
Davidl

JulieD

Hi David

okay here it is

first, select your 17 cells (use the control key to get them) and then click
in the name box (little box to left of formula bar) and type
myrng
and press ENTER

then, right mouse click on a sheet tab and choose view code
in the VBE Window choose insert / module
on the right hand side of the screen copy & paste this
---

Sub eliminatedups()

Dim Temp As Variant
Dim i As Integer
Dim NoExchanges As Integer
Dim myvals(16) As String

he
Calculate
i = 0
For Each c In Range("myrng")
myvals(i) = c.Value
i = i + 1
Next

' Loop until no more "exchanges" are made.
Do
NoExchanges = True

' Loop through each element in the array.
For i = 0 To UBound(myvals) - 1
' If the element is greater than the element
' following it, exchange the two elements.
If myvals(i) myvals(i + 1) Then
NoExchanges = False
Temp = myvals(i)
myvals(i) = myvals(i + 1)
myvals(i + 1) = Temp
ElseIf myvals(i) = myvals(i + 1) Then 'added GD
GoTo here
End If
Next i
Loop While Not (NoExchanges)

msgbox "All OK"

End Sub

---

then use ALT & F11 to switch back to your workbook and create a button -
assign the macro to the button and click it ....it should run through until
there are no duplicates in the 17 cells.

let me know how you go.

--
Cheers
JulieD

"David L" wrote in message
Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a
formula.
ex:
if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5? Also, I am using
=INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names from
list.
I have the formula in different place pick random names from
different
list.
This does work, but I have different list with some of the same
names
and
with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.
--
Thanks for any and all help.
Davidl

David L

Hi Julie,

Thank you for your help. I had told you wrong about the number of cells I
have to check for duplicates. Instead of 17 there are 20. I change the
macro to read Dim myvals(19) As String. I am not sure if this is right. I
can change the range to have 18 cells and change the macro to Dim myvals(17)
As String and the macro runs and works and it takes less than 30 seconds.
With the 20 cells I just had to cancel the macro after it had been running
for 15 minutes. I was wondering if there is something else I need to change
to make it run faster.

Thanks,
David L

"David L" wrote in message
Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a
formula.
ex:
if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5? Also, I am using
=INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names from
list.
I have the formula in different place pick random names from
different
list.
This does work, but I have different list with some of the same
names
and
with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.
--
Thanks for any and all help.
Davidl

JulieD

Hi David

did you delete & recreate "myrng" every time you tested a different number
of cells?

--
Cheers
JulieD

"David L" wrote in message
Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a
formula.
ex:
if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5? Also, I am using
=INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names
from
list.
I have the formula in different place pick random names from
different
list.
This does work, but I have different list with some of the same
names
and
with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.
--
Thanks for any and all help.
Davidl

David L

Julie,
I redefined the myrng range to the number of cells I was trying. When I
redefined the range and changed the number I worked, but when I went to 20
cells in the myrng range and changed the number to 19 that is when it is
taking so long.

Thanks,
David L

"David L" wrote in message
Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a
formula.
ex:
if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5? Also, I am using
=INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names
from
list.
I have the formula in different place pick random names from
different
list.
This does work, but I have different list with some of the same
names
and
with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.
--
Thanks for any and all help.
Davidl

JulieD

Hi David

you did the right thing by changing the Dim myvals(x) As String and by
deleting and recreating the myrng range name before running it for a
different number of cells ... but ...

the way the code works is that it checks the 20 (or whatever cells) and if
it finds a duplicate it recalcs all the cells and checks them again ... so
unfortunately it seems that it is taking a long time to generate 20 cells
without duplication.

I can't think of any way of speeding it up ... unless you only include in
the myrng range name those fields where duplications are possible, rather
than all 20 (if this is an option), then it will have less values to check
and compare.

if this doesn't work, then AFAIK the sitauation needs to be approach
differently but i'm not sure how.

--
Cheers
JulieD

"David L" wrote in message
Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a
formula.
ex:
if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5? Also, I am using
=INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random
names
from
list.
I have the formula in different place pick random names from
different
list.
This does work, but I have different list with some of the
same
names
and
with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.
--
Thanks for any and all help.
Davidl

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Curt

You can copy the results of formulas from a sheet to another sheet within the
same workbook or to another workbook and paste special as values.

Hit CTRL + a to select all cells.

F5SpecialFormulasOK

With those cells cells selected hit EditCopy then Paste SpecialValues to
wherever you want.

To retain formulas in source worksheet CTRL + a to select all cells then hit
F5SpecialConstants. Check which Constants to delete and OK

With those selected cells EditClear Contents.

Formulas will remain ready for input of new data where the constants were
deleted.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:48:02 -0800, "Curt"
wrote:

noteing your answer. Is there a way to copy or save results of formula to
another location and clear the results in the active workbook? Also need to
retain formulas in active. Would formulas need to be reinserted by code?
Thanks

Curt