Loopy Darren

Default Copying excel format from cell to cell

Excel 2000

I have been formatting an excel table where a line is inserted and formulas
copied to cells in the newly inserted line.

However, the cells in the new line are showing zero's, while the cells from
which the formulas are copied do not show any zeros/values, unless data has
been entered.

As a result, I have a number of lines in the table where some of the lines
do not show any zero's/values, and one line that does show zero's/values.

I have tried a number of formatting options to try to have the newly
inserted line showing the same no zero's/values, but without sucess.

If I right-click on one of the original cells in the line above, select
'format cells' the Number format is 'number' and the Sample bar shows as
blank.

If I right-click on one of the cells in the new line, select 'format cells'
the format for Number is the same, but, the Sample bar shows a zero value
with one decimal point.

What I am attempting to do is show the cell as blank unless data is entered
in other cells, and then the formula result will show.

Peter Rooney

Hi, Darren!

Picking up from the last paragraph in your posting, have you tried
conditional formulae?

Example =if(a10,A1*5," ")

So, if A1 is greater than 0, let the formula produce a1 multiplied by 5, if
it isn't (i.e. if A1 is zero or a negative number), enter a space.

As you might imagine, there are lots of variations on this - you could
replace the space by a 0, then do Tools Options View and take the tick out of
"Zero Values" - this would display a blank cell, too, but it would be a
suppressed zero, as against a space.

=if(a10,A1*5,0)

The syntax is: =IF(condition,what to do if the condition's true,what to do
if the condition's false)

Hope this helps

Pete :o)

"Loopy Darren" wrote:

[...]

Duke Carey

A custom format of

0_);(0);

would show nothing when the formula evaluated to 0

Also, if the cells you copied from referenced cells with an empty string -
"" - then those cells would show nothing. However, once you pasted the
formulas into a new cell, and if the pasted formulas referenced cells that
were truly blank, they'd show zeros

Showing zeros can be a good thing, IMHO, if they don't mess up a printed
report, because then you know what's in the cell. Less ambiguity.