Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Validation / Allow List

Hi all

I have used the above function to create a drop-down list in a range of
cells in Excel. Is there any way that, when you click onto the drop-down
arrow, you can quickly get to, for example, items beginning with the letter
's' in the list? I've tried simply pressing the key and it doesn't work.

Is there such a function?

THank you.
Louise
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Louise,

Debra Dalgleish shows how you can get autocompletion to work in data
validation using a combobox - see this link:

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 8, 2:01*pm, Louise wrote:
Hi all

I have used the above function to create a drop-down list in a range of
cells in Excel. *Is there any way that, when you click onto the drop-down
arrow, you can quickly get to, for example, items beginning with the letter
's' in the list? *I've tried simply pressing the key and it doesn't work.

Is there such a function?

THank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Louise,

Give this a try. Type in the "s" in the data validation cell but DON'T hit
Enter. Now click on the drop down arrow while the cell is still in the edit
mode. Should take you to the top of the s list.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Louise" wrote in message
Hi all

I have used the above function to create a drop-down list in a range of
cells in Excel. Is there any way that, when you click onto the drop-down
arrow, you can quickly get to, for example, items beginning with the
letter
's' in the list? I've tried simply pressing the key and it doesn't work.

Is there such a function?

THank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nice trick Howard.

A keeper, for sure.

I either never saw before or definitely had forgotten.

Gord

"Louise" wrote in message
Hi all

I have used the above function to create a drop-down list in a range of
cells in Excel. Is there any way that, when you click onto the drop-down
arrow, you can quickly get to, for example, items beginning with the
letter
's' in the list? I've tried simply pressing the key and it doesn't work.

Is there such a function?

THank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Gord.

Probably should clarify that there needs to be a single letter at the top of
each letter category of the list. A, B, C etc. C will not take you to the
first item in the "c" list if it is "cat" for instance.

Regards,
Howard

"Louise" wrote in message
Hi all

I have used the above function to create a drop-down list in a range of
cells in Excel. Is there any way that, when you click onto the
drop-down
arrow, you can quickly get to, for example, items beginning with the
letter
's' in the list? I've tried simply pressing the key and it doesn't
work.

Is there such a function?

THank you.
Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Point noted.

Thanks Howard

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:44:54 -0800, "L. Howard Kittle"
wrote:

Thanks, Gord.

Probably should clarify that there needs to be a single letter at the top of
each letter category of the list. A, B, C etc. C will not take you to the
first item in the "c" list if it is "cat" for instance.

Regards,
Howard

.. .