Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I use Excel to find an average of times?

I can do the math, but would rather just plug it into Excel. Here's what I'm
looking for. I'm trying to find the average time that my driver arrived at a
certain account for all of last year. I have the list of times that he
arrived. For example, 5:52 AM or 6:45 AM. I have a list of about 250. I want
his average time that he arrives there every day. I've tried to change format
to hh:mm or time, but the average is not correct. Does anyone know how to do
what I'm looking for.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Format will have nothing to do with the result of a calculation -
calculations use the stored value cells, regardless of their display
format.

If the values are, in fact, XL times, you can get an average time using

=AVERAGE(A1:A250)

formatting the cell as a time.

Note that XL times are stored as fractional days, so the average of
11:00 PM and 3:00 AM will be 1:00 PM ((23+3)/2), not 1:00 AM.