Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default LINEST Function

I am trying to use the above function, but only the slope results are shown.
I have been careful to CTL-Shift-Enter to make the function an array. The
y-intercept does not show up. I am using Excel 2007. Any help would be
appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For a linear fit, you need to select either two horizontally adjacent cells
or a 2 by 5 block if you want detailed stats. The type the formula and then
use CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
Let us know how it goes
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"mcduffcpa" wrote in message
I am trying to use the above function, but only the slope results are
shown.
I have been careful to CTL-Shift-Enter to make the function an array.
The
y-intercept does not show up. I am using Excel 2007. Any help would be
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for replying. I have done as you have suggested, but it does not
work. I have tried the exact Microsoft help example, and it does not work.
Here it is:
A B
1 Known y Known x
2 1 0
3 9 4
4 5 2
5 7 3
6 Formula
=LINEST(A2:A5,B2:B5,,FALSE)
Then I Ctl+Shift+Enter, which encloses the above formula in {} to make it an
array. My results are 2. According to the Example results the answers
should be 2 and 1 and would be reflected in 2 different cells. I'm sure I
missing something simple, but I wondered if it was a bug in Excel 2007.
Again thanks for the response. Any additional insight is appreciated!

"mcduffcpa" wrote in message
I am trying to use the above function, but only the slope results are
shown.
I have been careful to CTL-Shift-Enter to make the function an array.
The
y-intercept does not show up. I am using Excel 2007. Any help would be
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I get slope 2, intersect 1 with your data and formula
This agrees with the trendline equation when the x and y values are used as
you indicate in the headings
I have been using Excel 2007 for some time, and written a book on it for
engineers, there is no bug in the LINEST function
Would you like to send me a file (just delete TRUENOR|TH. from my email
address)
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"mcduffcpa" wrote in message
I am trying to use the above function, but only the slope results are
shown.
I have been careful to CTL-Shift-Enter to make the function an array.
The
y-intercept does not show up. I am using Excel 2007. Any help would
be
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bernard, I discovered the problem was that I did not highlight multiple cells
before creating the array. Once I did that the problem was resolved. I
appreciate your time and assistance, Becky