Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default VLOOKUP and sums

Any help greatfully received !!! If I have a list of data as below ( eg )
1/1/08 10
8/1/08 15
15/1/08 20
22/1/08 30
29/1/08 40

The list has 'dates' in column A and numbers in column B and will always be
in this format. How do I creata a formula that can add up column B total, but
for a certain group of dates - ie the total of B for dates between and
including 8/1/08 and 22/1/08. Obvioulsy I can expand the range, but thought
this the easiest example of what I am trying to achieve !!
Thanking anyone in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gilly,

There are a couple of ways and here's one

=SUMIF(A1:A10,"="&C1,B1:B10)-SUMIF(A1:A10,"="&D1,B1:B10)

Where C1 is the start date and D1 is the end date of your sum range

Mike

"Gilly B" wrote:

Any help greatfully received !!! If I have a list of data as below ( eg )
1/1/08 10
8/1/08 15
15/1/08 20
22/1/08 30
29/1/08 40

The list has 'dates' in column A and numbers in column B and will always be
in this format. How do I creata a formula that can add up column B total, but
for a certain group of dates - ie the total of B for dates between and
including 8/1/08 and 22/1/08. Obvioulsy I can expand the range, but thought
this the easiest example of what I am trying to achieve !!
Thanking anyone in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Forgot to mention that Excel may try and be 'helpful' and format this
formula as a date. If it does reformat as general.

Mike

"Gilly B" wrote:

Any help greatfully received !!! If I have a list of data as below ( eg )
1/1/08 10
8/1/08 15
15/1/08 20
22/1/08 30
29/1/08 40

The list has 'dates' in column A and numbers in column B and will always be
in this format. How do I creata a formula that can add up column B total, but
for a certain group of dates - ie the total of B for dates between and
including 8/1/08 and 22/1/08. Obvioulsy I can expand the range, but thought
this the easiest example of what I am trying to achieve !!
Thanking anyone in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

for dates between and including 8/1/08 and 22/1/08.
=SUMIF(A1:A10,"="&C1,B1:B10)-SUMIF(A1:A10,"="&D1,B1:B10)

To include the boundary dates the 2nd SUMIF criteria should be ""&D1.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Sums Jemma Excel Worksheet Functions 6 December 11th 08 06:30 PM
SUMS Pascale Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 January 9th 08 07:55 PM
How to add previous sums in a column to current sums in a column? TD Excel Worksheet Functions 1 September 30th 06 02:55 PM
Sums madmam Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 July 27th 06 04:56 PM
Sums Jet Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 January 13th 05 06:51 PM