Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Group and Ungroup

New Year's Greetings!

I am using MS Excel 2007 and VISTA. I have a very large workship with many
row groupings. Strangely, I now see at the far left three numbers in boxes
instead of the expected two (the second box indicating Level 2), that is, not
only the intended Level 2 groupings but Level 3.

The problem is I didn't do anything to group at Level 3, except perhaps by
mistake. I have scrolled through the huge worksheet but I can't find any
indication that I mistakenly grouped a row to Level 3. So why the number 3?
Can any of the experts solve this mystery, or is it perhaps a bug
(considering many rows have been grouped)? Many Excel can't handle too many
groupings, whatever the limitation is. Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Normally level three reflects the final items which can not be further divided.
OR
Probably you were applying a Subtotal Tool and in the first dropdown box
selected some column which had list with unsorted or unique text;

However, you may remove a level a goup by pressing:
Shift+Alt+(Left Arrow)
--

Best Regards,
FARAZ A. QURESHI

"Rebecca" wrote:

New Year's Greetings!

I am using MS Excel 2007 and VISTA. I have a very large workship with many
row groupings. Strangely, I now see at the far left three numbers in boxes
instead of the expected two (the second box indicating Level 2), that is, not
only the intended Level 2 groupings but Level 3.

The problem is I didn't do anything to group at Level 3, except perhaps by
mistake. I have scrolled through the huge worksheet but I can't find any
indication that I mistakenly grouped a row to Level 3. So why the number 3?
Can any of the experts solve this mystery, or is it perhaps a bug
(considering many rows have been grouped)? Many Excel can't handle too many
groupings, whatever the limitation is. Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do remember to first select the complete data and then pressing:
Shift+Alt+(Left Arrow)
--

Best Regards,
FARAZ A. QURESHI

"Rebecca" wrote:

New Year's Greetings!

I am using MS Excel 2007 and VISTA. I have a very large workship with many
row groupings. Strangely, I now see at the far left three numbers in boxes
instead of the expected two (the second box indicating Level 2), that is, not
only the intended Level 2 groupings but Level 3.

The problem is I didn't do anything to group at Level 3, except perhaps by
mistake. I have scrolled through the huge worksheet but I can't find any
indication that I mistakenly grouped a row to Level 3. So why the number 3?
Can any of the experts solve this mystery, or is it perhaps a bug
(considering many rows have been grouped)? Many Excel can't handle too many
groupings, whatever the limitation is. Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Faraz. I went through the spreadsheet again and found that I had
indeed performed a double group for certain rows, thereby producing the three
levels. When I deleted Level 3, the third box went away. Anyway, thanks for
your kind and quick help.