Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Keep Same Range

I have a formula and the range in the formula is A1:A1000 and I want
this to stay A1:A1000 even if I delte rows. Is this possible? I
thought I read somethign someplace. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

You could use INDIRECT, eg:
=SUM(INDIRECT("'Sheet1'!A1:A1000"))
will always point to A1:A1000 in Sheet1
--
Max
Singapore
"jlclyde" wrote in message
I have a formula and the range in the formula is A1:A1000 and I want
this to stay A1:A1000 even if I delte rows. Is this possible? I
thought I read somethign someplace. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Dec 30, 8:06*am, RonaldoOneNil
wrote:
Use $A$1:$A$1000

"jlclyde" wrote:
I have a formula and the range in the formula is A1:A1000 and I want
this to stay A1:A1000 even if I delte rows. *Is this possible? *I
thought I read somethign someplace. *Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jay- Hide quoted text -

This does nto work if the range has a row removed or deleted. It
changes the reference to $A1:$A999.
Jay
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think you'll find that deletion of rows will cause that formula to change,
Ronaldo.

If you want it not to change, replace reference to A1:A1000 by
INDIRECT("A1:A1000")
--
David Biddulph

"RonaldoOneNil" wrote in message
Use $A$1:$A$1000

"jlclyde" wrote:

I have a formula and the range in the formula is A1:A1000 and I want
this to stay A1:A1000 even if I delte rows. Is this possible? I
thought I read somethign someplace. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you dave and Max. The indirect works great. I forgot to add
the quotes. So it was Sumproduct((INDIRECT(A1:A1000)*.... instead
of ...INDIRECT("A1:A1000")....
Thanks again,
Jay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The absolute reference stops it changing when you copy it up or down or
across, but references still point to the same cell (not the same reference)
when rows or columns are inserted or deleted. That's why you need INDIRECT
for situations like this.