Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional Formatting where Matrix intersects

I have a matrix (see below) and would like to format the row yellow and the
column red and where they INTERSECT orange. I am able to get the row and
column formatting to work but the intersection formula will not.

apple banana grapes
red 34 21 -
pink 20 22 -
black - - 12

Assuming I pick pink/banana, the 3rd row would be yellow, the 3rd column
would be red and the value in cell C3 (22) would be orange.

This is what I have right now for the intersection conditional formatting
"formula is" (assuming the full table is selected)

=IF(AND($A1="pink",A$1="banana"),,)

If only cell C3 is selected it would be

=IF(AND($A3="pink",C$1="banana"),,)

But it will not work. :(

Thanks for your help in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
~L ~L is offline

You don't need the IF( ,,) parts.

Take that out, and you should be gold. Or blue, red, or whatever color you
choose to fill with.

"Rebecca_SUNY" wrote:

I have a matrix (see below) and would like to format the row yellow and the
column red and where they INTERSECT orange. I am able to get the row and
column formatting to work but the intersection formula will not.

apple banana grapes
red 34 21 -
pink 20 22 -
black - - 12

Assuming I pick pink/banana, the 3rd row would be yellow, the 3rd column
would be red and the value in cell C3 (22) would be orange.

This is what I have right now for the intersection conditional formatting
"formula is" (assuming the full table is selected)

=IF(AND($A1="pink",A$1="banana"),,)

If only cell C3 is selected it would be

=IF(AND($A3="pink",C$1="banana"),,)

But it will not work. :(

Thanks for your help in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I took the IF out and it still didn't work. I had to change the order of the
conditions so that the intersection was FIRST and then the row and column
formatting were second and third. Then is worked like a charm.

Thanks.