Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Todays Date

I need help with a formula. In Column B I will have a date. In column E I
will have a total of C and D. Right in E I am using =SUM(C3+D3). If I do not
have a Date entry in B I do not want E to show. I tried
=IF(B3<=TODAY(),C3+D3,"") But that does not work for me. Any suggestions?
I am using Excel 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm glad that you've decided not to use =SUM(C3+D3), because =C3+D3 would
have done just as well.

If you want E3 to be blank if B3 is blank, and you don't want to compare B3
with today's date, change your
=IF(B3<=TODAY(),C3+D3,"") to
=IF(B3="","",C3+D3)
--
David Biddulph

"Kevin" wrote in message
I need help with a formula. In Column B I will have a date. In column E I
will have a total of C and D. Right in E I am using =SUM(C3+D3). If I do
not
have a Date entry in B I do not want E to show. I tried
=IF(B3<=TODAY(),C3+D3,"") But that does not work for me. Any suggestions?
I am using Excel 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

may I ask for some calrification please?
why would be C3+D3 be better than SUM(C3+D3)?

"Kevin" wrote in message

I need help with a formula. In Column B I will have a date. In column E I
will have a total of C and D. Right in E I am using =SUM(C3+D3). If I do
not
have a Date entry in B I do not want E to show. I tried
=IF(B3<=TODAY(),C3+D3,"") But that does not work for me. Any suggestions?
I am using Excel 2007- Ukryj cytowany tekst -

- Pokaż cytowany tekst -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Kevin" wrote in message

I need help with a formula. In Column B I will have a date. In column E I
will have a total of C and D. Right in E I am using =SUM(C3+D3). If I do
not
have a Date entry in B I do not want E to show. I tried
=IF(B3<=TODAY(),C3+D3,"") But that does not work for me. Any suggestions?
I am using Excel 2007- Ukryj cytowany tekst -

- Pokaż cytowany tekst -- Hide quoted text -

If you are going to use SUM then you'd use either

=SUM(C3,D3) or =SUM(C3:D3)

This might be preferable to =C3+D3 because SUM ignores text so if
either C3 or D3 had a text value using SUM would avoid an error while
still summing any numeric values in the range

With SUM(C3+D3) however there is no advantage to using SUM, it's
superfluous