Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to find the year from a given date

I would like to know the formula by which we can find out the year from the
given dates
Eg; Date of Joining coloum has 10/01/97, 05/06/2001 so from this i should
get the year as 1997 and 2001...
Kindly suggest some formula to help me out for the desired output

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

just to expand on somewhat brief DB's response

you may go to Format-Cells-Custom and format yr cells as dd/mm/yy or
dd/mm/yyyy accordingly

THEN try to use the YEAR function

or use formula for text:

=IF(ISNUMBER(RIGHT(A1,4)*1),PRAWY(A1,4)*1,"")

David will surely come up with a more handy solution...

HIH

"User" wrote in message

I would like to know the formula by which we can find out the year from the
given dates
Eg; Date of Joining coloum has 10/01/97, 05/06/2001 so from this i should
get the year as 1997 and 2001...
Kindly suggest some formula to help me out for the desired output- Ukryj cytowany tekst -

- Poka¿ cytowany tekst -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

oops, sorry, David must have noticed that already

the formula should read as follows:

=IF(ISNUMBER(RIGHT(A1,4)*1),RIGHT(A1,4)*1,RIGHT(A1 ,2)*1)

sorry

and thank you David for the pointing-out

On 29 Gru, 13:16, Jarek Kujawa wrote:
just to expand on somewhat brief DB's response

you may go to Format-Cells-Custom and format yr cells as dd/mm/yy or
dd/mm/yyyy accordingly

THEN try to use the YEAR function

or use formula for text:

=IF(ISNUMBER(RIGHT(A1,4)*1),PRAWY(A1,4)*1,"")

David will surely come up with a more handy solution...

HIH

On 29 Gru, 10:52, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:

Try the YEAR function. Â*Look it up In Excel help.
--
David Biddulph

"User" wrote in message

I would like to know the formula by which we can find out the year from the
given dates
Eg; Date of Joining coloum has 10/01/97, 05/06/2001 so from this i should
get the year as 1997 and 2001...
Kindly suggest some formula to help me out for the desired output- Ukryj cytowany tekst -

- Poka¿ cytowany tekst -- Ukryj cytowany tekst -

- Pokaż cytowany tekst -