Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I need a formula.

Situation: I have two different sheets that I need to match up in a way. I
need to look at the cells in column A on sheet 1 and have it look at the
cells in column H on sheet 2. If the info in the cells in column A on sheet
1 match the column H on sheet 2, then back on sheet 1 place a "true or false"
in column P lined up with the matching cells. What I will be doing is
deleting the ones that don't match (false). Otherwise I am going thru a
couple thousand lines of parts numbers to get rid of old ones that are no
longer on the master price list.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Put this in P1 of Sheet1:

=ISNA(MATCH(A1,Sheet2!H:H,0))

Then copy down.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 21, 1:30*am, Brandon Cariveau <Brandon
wrote:
Situation: *I have two different sheets that I need to match up in a way. *I
need to look at the cells in column A on sheet 1 and have it look at the
cells in column H on sheet 2. *If the info in the cells in column A on sheet
1 match the column H on sheet 2, then back on sheet 1 place a "true or false"
in *column P lined up with the matching cells. *What I will be doing is
deleting the ones that don't match (false). *Otherwise I am going thru a
couple thousand lines of parts numbers to get rid of old ones that are no
longer on the master price list.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Brandon Cariveau wrote:
Situation: I have two different sheets that I need to match up in a way. I
need to look at the cells in column A on sheet 1 and have it look at the
cells in column H on sheet 2. If the info in the cells in column A on sheet
1 match the column H on sheet 2, then back on sheet 1 place a "true or false"
in column P lined up with the matching cells. What I will be doing is
deleting the ones that don't match (false). Otherwise I am going thru a
couple thousand lines of parts numbers to get rid of old ones that are no
longer on the master price list.

If you are expecting a one-to-one match (i.e., row 1 should match row 1,
row 100 should match row 100, etc.,) on sheet 1:

=A1='sheet 2'!H1

As I reread your question though it seems you might have altogether
different lists if part numbers on the old list have disappeared. Then
maybe you should use VLOOKUP /on sheet 2/:

=VLOOKUP($H1,'sheet 1'!$A:$A,1,false)

This will return FALSE where there is no match on sheet 2 in sheet 1,
otherwise the matching part number will return.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks all who helped. The suggestions did not work but both looked like
they would. My thought is that the cells have some strange formating that is
not letting these search formulas return correct answers. I didn't make
these sheets but I am left looking through them.

Thanks again!!

"Brandon Cariveau" wrote:

Situation: I have two different sheets that I need to match up in a way. I
need to look at the cells in column A on sheet 1 and have it look at the
cells in column H on sheet 2. If the info in the cells in column A on sheet
1 match the column H on sheet 2, then back on sheet 1 place a "true or false"
in column P lined up with the matching cells. What I will be doing is
deleting the ones that don't match (false). Otherwise I am going thru a
couple thousand lines of parts numbers to get rid of old ones that are no
longer on the master price list.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Brandon

Try This in P1