Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Determine best way to sum

I have a worksheet that contains 12 "budgets". More like actual
income/expense. Anyway, each line item in each budget has a category, ie CC
for Credit Card Pmts, Gas, Grocery, Income, etc.

I want to use either SUMIF or SUMPRODUCT. The catch is I do not know if
there was a way to "pick up" each category without the possibility of
repeating that category later. Normally, and possibly the only way that I
know of, I would have to manually type in a SUMIF/SUMPRODUCT for each
category, listing the actual category in the formula.

I wanted to try a way that would automatically pick up any new categories,
not already listed.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

Les

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

I wanted to try a way that would automatically pick up any new categories,
not already listed.

Believe a pivot table would crunch everything out easily (ie produce the
uniques listing(s) in the ROW area & in top row [COLUMN area]) with required
sums in DATA area. You might want to give it a go.
--
Max
Singapore
"WLMPilot" wrote:
I have a worksheet that contains 12 "budgets". More like actual
income/expense. Anyway, each line item in each budget has a category, ie CC
for Credit Card Pmts, Gas, Grocery, Income, etc.

I want to use either SUMIF or SUMPRODUCT. The catch is I do not know if
there was a way to "pick up" each category without the possibility of
repeating that category later. Normally, and possibly the only way that I
know of, I would have to manually type in a SUMIF/SUMPRODUCT for each
category, listing the actual category in the formula.

I wanted to try a way that would automatically pick up any new categories,
not already listed.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

Les

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know anything about Pivot Tables, but I am reading up on it to learn.
I do have question (for now). Does it matter if there is data in a single
column that are headers, or non-important info. Like I stated, I have 12
budgets listed vertically. Each column of each budget has a header. Will
that matter when I pull in that column for the Pivot Table?

Thanks,
Les

"WLMPilot" wrote:
I have a worksheet that contains 12 "budgets". More like actual
income/expense. Anyway, each line item in each budget has a category, ie CC
for Credit Card Pmts, Gas, Grocery, Income, etc.

I want to use either SUMIF or SUMPRODUCT. The catch is I do not know if
there was a way to "pick up" each category without the possibility of
repeating that category later. Normally, and possibly the only way that I
know of, I would have to manually type in a SUMIF/SUMPRODUCT for each
category, listing the actual category in the formula.

I wanted to try a way that would automatically pick up any new categories,
not already listed.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

Les

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Upload a small sample file with dummy data/expected results
using a free filehost, eg: http://www.freefilehosting.net/
then post a link to it here

Copy the "direct link" which is generated after you upload,
then paste it here in your reply