Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Question on forumla

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet with four columns:

Monthly Volume, Minutes per unit, Monthly Hours and Required FTE

If I enter 2 in Monthly Volume and 7 in minutes per unit; my monthly hours
comes out as .23 which is monthly volume*minutes per unit. However, my
Required FTE column is blank, it has the formula monthly hours/173.3 which
are the hours per month of work for an average 20 workday month.

Why is the Required FTE coming out blank? I have the field set to Custom
0,0) is this incorrect? Because people are not receiving full time for their
work.

Thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With that custom format you are only displaying to 1 decimal place,
whereas the number is actually:

0.001346413

when formatted as General.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 5, 4:24*pm, Stockwell43
wrote:
Hello,

I have a spreadsheet with four columns:

Monthly Volume, Minutes per unit, Monthly Hours and Required FTE

If I enter 2 in Monthly Volume and 7 in minutes per unit; my monthly hours
comes out as .23 which is monthly volume*minutes per unit. However, my
Required FTE column is blank, it has the formula monthly hours/173.3 which
are the hours per month of work for an average 20 workday month.

Why is the Required FTE coming out blank? I have the field set to Custom
0,0) is this incorrect? Because people are not receiving full time for their
work.

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your reply. I tried that and when I change the custom to
General and duplicated the same information on two rows, on the bottom it is
suppose to sum the column but it doesn't calculate it. If the bottom cell is
Sum e7:e20 and my info is in cell e7 and e8 it still comes up blank.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong?

Thanks!!

wrote:
Hello,

I have a spreadsheet with four columns:

Monthly Volume, Minutes per unit, Monthly Hours and Required FTE

If I enter 2 in Monthly Volume and 7 in minutes per unit; my monthly hours
comes out as .23 which is monthly volume*minutes per unit. However, my
Required FTE column is blank, it has the formula monthly hours/173.3 which
are the hours per month of work for an average 20 workday month.

Why is the Required FTE coming out blank? I have the field set to Custom
0,0) is this incorrect? Because people are not receiving full time for their
work.

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Please note that zero is not the same as blank (a blank cell looks
empty). Just check that the format applied to the cell with the SUM
formula is also set to General - in my test the resulting sum was:

0.002692826

but if the format was 0.0 then that is what you will see.

Hope this helps.

Pete

wrote:
Hello,

I have a spreadsheet with four columns:

Monthly Volume, Minutes per unit, Monthly Hours and Required FTE

If I enter 2 in Monthly Volume and 7 in minutes per unit; my monthly hours
comes out as .23 which is monthly volume*minutes per unit. However, my
Required FTE column is blank, it has the formula monthly hours/173.3 which
are the hours per month of work for an average 20 workday month.

Why is the Required FTE coming out blank? I have the field set to Custom
0,0) is this incorrect? Because people are not receiving full time for their
work.

Thanks!!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I know, bad choice of words.

That was it. I don't really work much work Excel as I work mostly with
Access so even some of the simple things are tough :o)

Thank you for your patients and staying with me.

Have a great weekend!!!

wrote:
Hello,

I have a spreadsheet with four columns:

Monthly Volume, Minutes per unit, Monthly Hours and Required FTE

If I enter 2 in Monthly Volume and 7 in minutes per unit; my monthly hours
comes out as .23 which is monthly volume*minutes per unit. However, my
Required FTE column is blank, it has the formula monthly hours/173.3 which
are the hours per month of work for an average 20 workday month.

Why is the Required FTE coming out blank? I have the field set to Custom
0,0) is this incorrect? Because people are not receiving full time for their
work.

Thanks!!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome - thanks for feeding back.

Pete