Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default autofilter function

I am using Excel 2003 and need to use the autofilter function to group small
groups of related keywords from a list of over 1300 keyword phrases. I can
do the custom search using "contains", but when I cut the results and paste
to a different column not all the results show. Somtimes just the first
result. Other times when I paste the filtered results there is other data in
there that wasn't in the filter results. Can someone explain how to cut and
paste autofilter results.

Thanks,

Kevin H.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you can sort by what you are trying to isolate, then you can assemble your
data so that it is contiguous. You can then cut and paste your data.
Another solution might be a Pivot Table.

"Kevin H" wrote:

I am using Excel 2003 and need to use the autofilter function to group small
groups of related keywords from a list of over 1300 keyword phrases. I can
do the custom search using "contains", but when I cut the results and paste
to a different column not all the results show. Somtimes just the first
result. Other times when I paste the filtered results there is other data in
there that wasn't in the filter results. Can someone explain how to cut and
paste autofilter results.

Thanks,

Kevin H.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Kevin

Try pressing F5SpecialVisible cells onlyOK then do your copy and paste.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Kevin H" wrote in message
I am using Excel 2003 and need to use the autofilter function to group
small
groups of related keywords from a list of over 1300 keyword phrases. I
can
do the custom search using "contains", but when I cut the results and
paste
to a different column not all the results show. Somtimes just the first
result. Other times when I paste the filtered results there is other data
in
there that wasn't in the filter results. Can someone explain how to cut
and
paste autofilter results.

Thanks,

Kevin H.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Eric. It is the cutting and pasting of the filtered data that the
data gets all screwed up. It simply doesn't paste what was copied or it only
shows the 1st cell out of a dozen cells that were cut. I'm sure there is
something that I am doing wrong, but it is really confusing me that the
results I am getting aren't even consistant.

Thanks,
Kevin

"Kevin H" wrote:

I am using Excel 2003 and need to use the autofilter function to group small
groups of related keywords from a list of over 1300 keyword phrases. I can
do the custom search using "contains", but when I cut the results and paste
to a different column not all the results show. Somtimes just the first
result. Other times when I paste the filtered results there is other data in
there that wasn't in the filter results. Can someone explain how to cut and
paste autofilter results.

Thanks,

Kevin H.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you paste autofiltered data, it doesn't paste onto just the visible
rows, it pastes into the adjacent cells.

For example, you filter a table, and rows 2, 4 and 9 are visible
You copy the values in column C (C2, C4, C9)
Then you select cell F2, and paste the copied cells.
The value from C2 would paste into F2
C4 would paste into F3 (hidden)
C9 would paste into F4 (visible)

So, if you're trying to copy and paste just into the visible cells, it
won't work.
Perhaps you could sort the data, and copy and paste from adjacent cells.

Kevin H wrote:
I am using Excel 2003 and need to use the autofilter function to group small
groups of related keywords from a list of over 1300 keyword phrases. I can
do the custom search using "contains", but when I cut the results and paste
to a different column not all the results show. Somtimes just the first
result. Other times when I paste the filtered results there is other data in
there that wasn't in the filter results. Can someone explain how to cut and
paste autofilter results.

Thanks,

Kevin H.

--