Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to determine the value - 02Dec?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to determine the value?

Each set of number and character must be separated by space with different
length, but the length of space is not fixed.

For example 1
There is a string " 1 abchfjdk 321A 22" in cell A1.
I would like to return 1 in B1, 321 in C1 and 22 in D1.

For example 2
There is a string " 4 absdfdk 86 22A" in cell A2.
I would like to return 4 in B2, 86 in C2 and 22 in D2.

For example 3
There is a string " 989 aperterk 66 -" in cell A3.
I would like to return 989 in B3, 66 in C3 and - in D3.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the column with your data
Choose Data|Text to columns
Choose Delimited
Choose Space as the delimiter , Check 'treat consecutive delimiters as one'

"Eric" wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to determine the value?

Each set of number and character must be separated by space with different
length, but the length of space is not fixed.

For example 1
There is a string " 1 abchfjdk 321A 22" in cell A1.
I would like to return 1 in B1, 321 in C1 and 22 in D1.

For example 2
There is a string " 4 absdfdk 86 22A" in cell A2.
I would like to return 4 in B2, 86 in C2 and 22 in D2.

For example 3
There is a string " 989 aperterk 66 -" in cell A3.
I would like to return 989 in B3, 66 in C3 and - in D3.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you very much for suggestions
I would like to convert into different column automatically, without the
manual process for treat consecutive delimiters, because I need to do it
everyday.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank everyone for any suggestions
Eric

"Eric" wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to determine the value?

Each set of number and character must be separated by space with different
length, but the length of space is not fixed.

For example 1
There is a string " 1 abchfjdk 321A 22" in cell A1.
I would like to return 1 in B1, 321 in C1 and 22 in D1.

For example 2
There is a string " 4 absdfdk 86 22A" in cell A2.
I would like to return 4 in B2, 86 in C2 and 22 in D2.

For example 3
There is a string " 989 aperterk 66 -" in cell A3.
I would like to return 989 in B3, 66 in C3 and - in D3.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

I don't think you can use a built-in spreadsheet formula to do this.
However you could do it with a custom function if you wanted to.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire