Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

Default Dynamic Range (again)

All,
I am lost on this (Excel 2003) one. I have two different dynamic ranges I
use for validation. The first is a text list of various items. This seems to
work fine, but the second, is simply a range of numeric quantities (eg:
1-100) with the ability to add more.

While first list does NOT display blanks at the bottom of the dropdown, the
numeric one ALWAYS seems to do so and starts at the bottom.
I've read the contextures article - but do not see what I'm doing wrong
several suggestions said to delete blank cells in the range, but I have done
this to the bottom of the sheet.

Here are the formulas I use for the dynamic ranges. I should add that both
ranges have a header in row 1.
The text based list:
=OFFSET(MasterContentsList!$A$2,0,0,COUNTA(MasterC ontentsList!$A:$A),1)

and the Numeric one:
=OFFSET(MasterContentsList!$E$2,0,0,COUNTA(MasterC ontentsList!$E:$E),1)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe you have invisible characters or formulas showing blanks in the number
column
Since you want numbers you can change the COUNTA to COUNT which will ignore
text like "" or spaces etc

Peo Sjoblom

"Don" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

Default Dynamic Range (again) -many thanks to both!

I don't how that escaped me as not even being tried yet but changing to COUNT
worked great!

The thing I could think made the difference previously is that created the
number
list using CNTRL-drag to copy them down? otherwise no idea, as I know I
deleted to the end of the sheet.

Thanks again gents!

"Don" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

Thanks! This now seems so obvious!

"Gary Mc" wrote:

Don,

Change COUNTA to COUNT.

"Don" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It should only make a difference if your cells are not empty
if they have formulas or blanks

Peo Sjoblom

"Don" wrote in message
Thanks! This now seems so obvious!

"Gary Mc" wrote:

Don,

Change COUNTA to COUNT.

"Don" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

I am lost again. Now my text list does the same thing! I have deleted to the
bottom of the sheet. Admittedly, though when I look at the range in the
defined names list, it highlights the one blank at the bottom of the range?
But I know there is nothing there!

"Don" wrote in message
Thanks! This now seems so obvious!

"Gary Mc" wrote:

Don,

Change COUNTA to COUNT.

"Don" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are the values in your list derived from formulas?

Peo Sjoblom

"Don" wrote in message
Thanks! This now seems so obvious!

"Gary Mc" wrote:

Don,

Change COUNTA to COUNT.

Dynamic Range Arnie New Users to Excel 3 June 25th 08 12:46 PM
Dynamic Range jlg5454 Charts and Charting in Excel 2 March 8th 06 05:31 PM
dynamic range GEORGIA Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 10 June 29th 05 03:02 AM
Dynamic Range Dan Chupinsky Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 May 6th 05 04:18 AM