Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default building a value for a filter

i need to achieve a value 28/08/2009

to achieve this i have a field where the user enters the date they wish to
filter on

this is translated to the filter criteria by the following formula

= "" & B3

the problem is i get a result of 40053

if i put "" around the date i get "28/08/2009"

this does not work with the advanced filter.

help

what formula do i need to achieve my goal
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try something like this:

=A8B$3

Where A8 is the first cell of the range to filter.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Joseph Atie" wrote in message
i need to achieve a value 28/08/2009

to achieve this i have a field where the user enters the date they wish to
filter on

this is translated to the filter criteria by the following formula

= "" & B3

the problem is i get a result of 40053

if i put "" around the date i get "28/08/2009"

this does not work with the advanced filter.

help

what formula do i need to achieve my goal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you saying i should make that the critera for the filter?

i tried this

Data!$E$5Data!$E$2 as the critera

as well as

Data!$F$2Interface!$B$3 (its across sheets)

all i get from the advanced filter screen is reference is not valid

can you give me more info

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try something like this:

=A8B$3

Where A8 is the first cell of the range to filter.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Joseph Atie" wrote in message
i need to achieve a value 28/08/2009

to achieve this i have a field where the user enters the date they wish to
filter on

this is translated to the filter criteria by the following formula

= "" & B3

the problem is i get a result of 40053

if i put "" around the date i get "28/08/2009"

this does not work with the advanced filter.

help

what formula do i need to achieve my goal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Use =""&TEXT(B3,"d/mm/yyyy")

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Joseph Atie" wrote:

i need to achieve a value 28/08/2009

to achieve this i have a field where the user enters the date they wish to
filter on

this is translated to the filter criteria by the following formula

= "" & B3

the problem is i get a result of 40053

if i put "" around the date i get "28/08/2009"

this does not work with the advanced filter.

help

what formula do i need to achieve my goal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this to see how it works....

A7 = header = Date
A8 = 8/25/2009
A9 = 8/26/2009
A10 = 8/27/2009
A11 = 8/28/2009
A12 = 8/29/2009
A13 = 8/30/2009

User enters a date in cell B3.

B3 = user entered date = 8/28/2009 (I use m/d/y format)

Enter this formula in C3:

=A8B$3

Make the reference to the first cell of the range to filter a relative
reference.

Select the range A7:A13
Goto the menu DataFilterAdvanced Filter
The List Range will already be entered.
As the Criteria Range use: C$2:C$3

Note that we use C2 and C3. Leave C2 as an empty cell.

Click OK