Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default formula for different values

Hello
could somebody tell me if its possible in excel 2007 to write a formula that
produces a figure but can produce another figure if the original is not whats
required
eg if the price of sugar is 5pence and i want 1 =5pence but if i want more
than 100 i would expect a discount meaning the figure produced is wrong and
should be another lower figure
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes. Use Solver.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200815

"john" wrote:

Hello
could somebody tell me if its possible in excel 2007 to write a formula that
produces a figure but can produce another figure if the original is not whats
required
eg if the price of sugar is 5pence and i want 1 =5pence but if i want more
than 100 i would expect a discount meaning the figure produced is wrong and
should be another lower figure

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Solver is a great tool but if you just want a formula see if this works for
you. Assume that cell A1 contains your quantity and cell B1 contains your
price then in cell C1 enter =IF(A1<100,A1*B1,A1*B1*0.9) which would give you
a 10% discount when quantity is greater than 99.

"john" wrote:

Hello
could somebody tell me if its possible in excel 2007 to write a formula that
produces a figure but can produce another figure if the original is not whats
required
eg if the price of sugar is 5pence and i want 1 =5pence but if i want more
than 100 i would expect a discount meaning the figure produced is wrong and
should be another lower figure

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks
your help was the only decent response i have recieved thankyou,
in the if formula can you use multiple <in one line to perform calculations
according to wherther a criteria is met
thanks
john

"john" wrote:

Hello
could somebody tell me if its possible in excel 2007 to write a formula that
produces a figure but can produce another figure if the original is not whats
required
eg if the price of sugar is 5pence and i want 1 =5pence but if i want more
than 100 i would expect a discount meaning the figure produced is wrong and
should be another lower figure

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Sure, but it may not be the best solution even if it can be done. Without
concrete examples its hard for the people here to give you specific
solutions. Here is an example which might relate to your question:

=IF(A1<"",IF(B1<"",IF(A1<100,A1*B1,A1*B1*0.9),"" ),0)

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire