Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default consolidating customer list for mailings

I use excel 2003 and am told I can consolidate my customer list. Currently
each sale has its own line, so my spreadsheet shows approx. 5100 lines when
really I only have about 1200-1500 customers. iam trying to do a mailing and
don't want to waste the labels or the time. Please Help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

A quick way to derive the required uniques listing of cust and address is via
creating a pivot

Assume the relevant cust-address data is in C1:D5, viz:

Cust Add
Cust1 Add1
Cust2 Add2
Cust1 Add1
Cust1 Add1

where C1:D1 contains the col labels: Cust, Add

The quick n easy steps to create the pivot (in xl2003):
Select the range C1:D5, click Data Pivot table
Click Next Next
In step 3 of the wiz., click Layout, then:
Drag n drop Cust into ROW area
Double click on it, set subtotals to none ok
Drag n drop Add into ROW area, below Cust
Drag n drop Cust into DATA area
(It'll appear as Count)
Click OK Finish. That's it.

Hop over to the pivot sheet (just to the left), where you'd find the
required uniques listing of the Cust and Address in the leftmost 2 cols, eg:

Cust Add Total
Cust1 Add1 3
Cust2 Add2 1

(the 3rd col gives you the count,
ie the number of sales transactions by each unique cust-add)

Just copy Cust & Add portions, then paste special as values elsewhere as the
source for your downstreams.
--
Max
Singapore