Old November 18th 08, 04:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default First Day of the Year

Hi,

Can anyone tyell me how to write a formula that will give me the first day
of the year for a given date. So 26/03/08 will return 01/01/08, 22/07/09
will give me 01/01/09 etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Andrew

Old November 18th 08, 04:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Peo,

Before I saw your reply i got to =EOMONTH(A1,-(MONTH(A1)))+1

But yours is clearly a much more elegant answer.

Cheers,

Andrew

Old November 18th 08, 05:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Also note that EOMONTH is an ATP function and many businesses
do not have it installed (it needs to be installed in versions before 2007)
meaning that if somehow your spreadsheet ends up on a machine where it is
not installed
it will return a name error