Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default HELP!

I have the 3 columns of data in columns "m", "n", and "o" (No headings, data
starts in row 1). There are 216 rows starting in row 1. From the example
below, I will create in column "r", the heading FB2. Under the heading, I
want to see each 3 digit number that corresponds to FB2, with out repeating
the same 3 digit number.
M N O p Q
000 0.198407405 PO3 FB2
001 0.207502916 CV3 003
002 0.984589896 CV3
003 0.715903627 FB2
253 0.874352341 FB2 253
345 0.345343556 FB2 345
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this...

Assuming there are no empty cells in column M. The entries in column M are
numbers and those with leading zeros have been formatted to display leading
zeros.

R1 = FB2 (or any other code from column O)

Enter this array formula** in cell S1. This will return the count of unique
numbers in column M that meet the criteria.

=COUNT(1/FREQUENCY(IF(O1:O216=R1,M1:M216),M1:M216))

Enter this array formula** in cell R2:

=IF(S10,MIN(IF(O1:O216=R1,M1:M216)),"")

Enter this array formula** in R3 and copy down until you get blanks:

=IF(ROWS(R$2:R3)<=S$1,MIN(IF((O$1:O$216=R$1)*(M$1: M$216R2),M$1:M$216)),"")

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Bill" wrote in message
I have the 3 columns of data in columns "m", "n", and "o" (No headings,
data
starts in row 1). There are 216 rows starting in row 1. From the example
below, I will create in column "r", the heading FB2. Under the heading, I
want to see each 3 digit number that corresponds to FB2, with out
repeating
the same 3 digit number.
M N O p Q
000 0.198407405 PO3 FB2
001 0.207502916 CV3 003
002 0.984589896 CV3
003 0.715903627 FB2
253 0.874352341 FB2
253
345 0.345343556 FB2
345

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

{=COUNT(1/FREQUENCY(IF(O1:O216=R1,M1:M216),M1:M216))}
No matter what data poi nt is in R1, this formula returns 0.
Then the second formula does not find anything, because s1=0

"Bill" wrote in message
I have the 3 columns of data in columns "m", "n", and "o" (No headings,
data
starts in row 1). There are 216 rows starting in row 1. From the example
below, I will create in column "r", the heading FB2. Under the heading, I
want to see each 3 digit number that corresponds to FB2, with out
repeating
the same 3 digit number.
M N O p Q
000 0.198407405 PO3 FB2
001 0.207502916 CV3 003
002 0.984589896 CV3
003 0.715903627 FB2
253 0.874352341 FB2
253
345 0.345343556 FB2
345

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

{=COUNT(1/FREQUENCY(IF(O1:O216=R1,M1:M216),M1:M216))}
Whether entered as an array or not, this formula returns 0. With this
being 0, the second formula finds nothing because S1 is not greater than 0.

I'm sure I missed something, but I just can't figure it out.

"Bill" wrote in message
I have the 3 columns of data in columns "m", "n", and "o" (No headings,
data
starts in row 1). There are 216 rows starting in row 1. From the example
below, I will create in column "r", the heading FB2. Under the heading, I
want to see each 3 digit number that corresponds to FB2, with out
repeating
the same 3 digit number.
M N O p Q
000 0.198407405 PO3 FB2
001 0.207502916 CV3 003
002 0.984589896 CV3
003 0.715903627 FB2
253 0.874352341 FB2
253
345 0.345343556 FB2
345

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That tells me that either column M doesn't contain numeric numbers or column
O may contain entries like FB2 but might also have unseen characters like
spaces. It's possible that FB2 is actually FB2<space.

In the sample data you postd, the first thing I think of when I see numbers
with leading zeros is these are not really numeric numbers but are TEXT
numbers.

Try this formula in some cell:

=COUNT(M1:M216)

What result do you get? If you get 0 then your numbers are text.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Bill" wrote in message
I have the 3 columns of data in columns "m", "n", and "o" (No headings,
data
starts in row 1). There are 216 rows starting in row 1. From the
example
below, I will create in column "r", the heading FB2. Under the
heading, I
want to see each 3 digit number that corresponds to FB2, with out
repeating
the same 3 digit number.
M N O p
000 0.198407405 PO3 FB2
001 0.207502916 CV3 003
002 0.984589896 CV3
003 0.715903627 FB2
253 0.874352341 FB2
253
345 0.345343556 FB2
345

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this...

Select an empty that has never been used or been formatted. It can be any
empty cell.
Copy that empty cell: EditCopy
Select the range of numbers in M1:M216
Then, EditPaste SpecialAddOK

That will usually convert text numbers to numeric numbers.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP