-   -   are variable table-array names in functions possible? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/21042-variable-table-array-names-functions-possible.html)

JimH

are variable table-array names in functions possible?

Is it possible somehow to use variable table array names in VLookup or
HLookup? I would like to create a drop down list of tables, then use the
look-up function against the table designated for example =HLOOKUP(D6,,2)
where Scenario is a cell reference to the selection from the drop down list.
All I am able to get is an #N/A error. The HLOOKUP function works as
expected if I replace the cell reference (ie. Scenario) with an actual table
name (eg. Scenario1).

JimH

JimH

Sorry the formula that doesn't work should say =HLOOKUP(D6,Scenario,2) where

"JimH" wrote:

Is it possible somehow to use variable table array names in VLookup or
HLookup? I would like to create a drop down list of tables, then use the
look-up function against the table designated for example =HLOOKUP(D6,,2)
where Scenario is a cell reference to the selection from the drop down list.
All I am able to get is an #N/A error. The HLOOKUP function works as
expected if I replace the cell reference (ie. Scenario) with an actual table
name (eg. Scenario1).

JimH

Duke Carey

Try