Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default IF cell is blank

I'm having a brain seizure and can't remember. If a cell on sheet #1 has
someone's name typed in it, I want to display it on sheet#2, if it's blank I
want to display nothing...it's an IF statement with a TRUE / FALSE thing,
yes???

I can't seem to make it work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 11:40:06 -0800, John Galt
wrote:

I'm having a brain seizure and can't remember. If a cell on sheet #1 has
someone's name typed in it, I want to display it on sheet#2, if it's blank I
want to display nothing...it's an IF statement with a TRUE / FALSE thing,
yes???

I can't seem to make it work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Sean, I realized after writing my question that the first time I
tried that formula I had entered a space between the quotes and got a false.
That sent me down the path of confusion and dead ends.

Question though. Isn't there something like =IF(a1, value if true, value if
false) i.e. if there's anything in A1, anything at all, then the if statement
is evaluated as "true"? Thanks, you solved my conundrum, but it's bugging me
that I'm not remembering it correctly or confusing two things, or just plain
wrong. lol
Set me straight!!

Thanks again.

"Sean Timmons" wrote: