Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default sorting matched columns

I am trying to match a cleared check statement from a bank to a check
register by check number. I want it to auto sort cleared check #, cleared
date, and cleared amount to match side by side to the check register by check
number. What is the best way to proceed with this task?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Shiela
I realize that you have a bank statement and you have an Excel sheet.
Tell us what you will enter into the Excel sheet (this is in this cell, that
is in that cell, etc). Then tell us what you want Excel to do with that
data. HTH Otto
"Shiela" wrote in message
I am trying to match a cleared check statement from a bank to a check
register by check number. I want it to auto sort cleared check #, cleared
date, and cleared amount to match side by side to the check register by
check
number. What is the best way to proceed with this task?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Rather than sorting you might consider VLOOKUP(A1,ClearedChecks,2,FALSE)

In the above example A1 would contain the Check# in the register.
ClearedChecks is the range where all your cleared checks are located with the
check numbers in the left-most column. 2 tells VLOOKUP that you want to
return the value of the second column of the ClearedCheck range when a match
is found for the check number. You could do others for column 3 and 4 to
return other info. False means this is an exact match we are checking for.
If nothing is found NA will be returned.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire