Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default getting address labels into Excel

My task is to get a bunch of address labels which are already printed, into
an excel sheet .

I have scanned a number A4 sheets each of which contain name and address
labels which are in the usual format mainly three or four columns across the
page. My task is to get these names and addresses into an Excel sheet for
use in mail merge etc. I do not have access to the original electronic
version since I have lost it.

Therefore, I have used an OCR program -- Abbyy fine reader -- and the
program works very well in that it recognises pretty much all of the names
and addresses and then gives me an option to save the recognized text into
various formats including Excel 2003, Excel 2007 and text files.
The best result I can get is to import the text version as external data .
I have tried each one and the best result I can obtain is using Excel 2007
although, it is not yet in a format for my needs.
The problem is that the names and addresses all run down the first column
and I will have to manually go through the names and addresses and insert a
line break between each one. The names and addresses are correctly formatted
in separate lines but there is no break between the end of each record and
the start of the next.
In other words, the imported text does not seem to recognize that the end
of each address is after the postcode although when I view the ocr
recognised text in the ocr program it shows clearly the names and addresses
separate .

I am not sure if this is a question for Excel NG or for an OCR NG but since
I can manipulate the results quite extensively in my attempts to import it
into an Excel sheet, I thought that someone in this NG might be able to give
some hints how I can get the text into the sheet the way I want.
I really hope I have explained my problem for others to understand.

-keevill-