Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Upgrade to 2007 Questions

Hi, I'm getting ready to upgrade from 2003 to 2007 (under XP). Can anyone
answer the following?
1) I have an add-in toolbar that I created (.xla), what will happen to this?
2) Any issues with saving 2007 as a 2003 version?
3) Any issues with Personal.xls? Lots of macros in there.
4) Any issues with custom templates?
5) Any other input?
Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

#1 - The Add-in toolbar will end up accessible through an Add-Ins tab in the
ribbon.
#2 - No known issues saving as Excel 97-2003 (that I'm aware of).
#3 - unsure - I don't keep my macros in personal.xls. But shouldn't be.
#4 - maybe, maybe not. Probably depends on what is in those templates. No
doubt the appearance will change somewhat.

#5 - What is there in Excel 2007 that you absolutely MUST have, CANNOT live
without and would rather have than even a brand new penny or cute puppy dog?
I ask this because my general advice to folks thinking of upgrading to 2007
is "why?". While the ability for more rows of information, some new
functions that take over from the much used variations of SUMPRODUCT(), and
such; there have been, and continue to be many complaints about 2007. Some
people have reported that their pre-2007 files suddenly became
inaccessible/unusable (not everyone, but more than one), big complaint on
color schemes and the inability to quickly identify what cells are selected
and which aren't, perceived and actual slower performance than with 2003.
And I guarantee if you do much graphing/charting with 2003 and plan on doing
so in 2007, you'll not be real happy.

"Karin" wrote:

Hi, I'm getting ready to upgrade from 2003 to 2007 (under XP). Can anyone
answer the following?
1) I have an add-in toolbar that I created (.xla), what will happen to this?
2) Any issues with saving 2007 as a 2003 version?
3) Any issues with Personal.xls? Lots of macros in there.
4) Any issues with custom templates?
5) Any other input?
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you, that was very helpful. I think I will wait a bit.

#1 - The Add-in toolbar will end up accessible through an Add-Ins tab in the
ribbon.
#2 - No known issues saving as Excel 97-2003 (that I'm aware of).
#3 - unsure - I don't keep my macros in personal.xls. But shouldn't be.
#4 - maybe, maybe not. Probably depends on what is in those templates. No
doubt the appearance will change somewhat.

#5 - What is there in Excel 2007 that you absolutely MUST have, CANNOT live