Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to sum cells corresponding to a specific reference?

Dear all,

I have column A with different references (e.g. LC43029, AG4499, B213344)
and column B with how many of each reference I have in my stocks. Now, I have
many different stocks and would like to sum up the values of column B
corresponding to each reference.

For instance:
AG4499 3
LC43029 1
AG44991 2
AG4499 2
AG4499 5
LC43029 4

Value for AG4499 = 3+2+2+5 = 12
Value for LC43029 = 1+4 = 5

How can I do that?

A thousand of thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

I think the answer for AG4499 is 10, try this

=SUMIF(A:A,"AG4499",B:B)

you could use a cell reference for the lookup value

Mike

"filpass" wrote:

Dear all,

I have column A with different references (e.g. LC43029, AG4499, B213344)
and column B with how many of each reference I have in my stocks. Now, I have
many different stocks and would like to sum up the values of column B
corresponding to each reference.

For instance:
AG4499 3
LC43029 1
AG44991 2
AG4499 2
AG4499 5
LC43029 4

Value for AG4499 = 3+2+2+5 = 12
Value for LC43029 = 1+4 = 5

How can I do that?

A thousand of thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

... sum up the values of column B
corresponding to each reference.

To avoid typing each reference, and to help avoid typing errors, I would
suggest a "Pivot Table." It's designed for this very purpose. :)

- - -
HTH
Dana DeLouis