Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Any Help with Golf Handicap calculation using Excel 97

Hello,

I am trying to calculate handicaps for a group of 20 players all members at
the same club. This is just to give temporary adjustments to their playing
handicaps during the winter period. We are a group who play each Monday,
Wednesday and Friday and generally we play to Stableford Rules thoughout the
winter. Naturally we would revert to Club Official Handicaps in Spring.
Many Thanks
--
tc1493

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply.

Amateur golfers play to a handicap. This handicap reflects the playing
strength.

There are 4 categories to consider:

Cat. 1 playing to 5 (5.4) or below. for each shot better or worse than par
0.1 is subtracted or added to the player's exact handicap.

Cat. 2 playing from 5.5 to 12.4 for each shot better than par 0.2 is
subtracted from the player's exact handicap. For each round worse than par
0.1 is added to the players exact handicap.

Cat. 3 playing from 12.5 to 20.4 for each shot better than par 0.3 is
subtracted from the player's exact handicap. For each round worse than par
0.1 is added to the players exact handicap.

Cat. 4 playing from 20.5 to 28.4 for each shot better than par 0.4 is
subtracted from the player's exact handicap. For each round worse than par
0.1 is added to the players exact handicap.

There are other complications like the calculated standard scratch on the
day of the competition but we disregard that in our winter mini competitions.

In each case the player plays to a rounded off handicap eg 9.4 = 9; 9.5 =10

Hope this helps.

tc1493

"Terry1493" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to calculate handicaps for a group of 20 players all members at
the same club. This is just to give temporary adjustments to their playing
handicaps during the winter period. We are a group who play each Monday,
Wednesday and Friday and generally we play to Stableford Rules thoughout the
winter. Naturally we would revert to Club Official Handicaps in Spring.
Many Thanks
--
tc1493

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi terry.

My pleasure to answer and help evey way I can. Ok, I know this much about
Golf, the par is what it is considered a good number of shuts per whole. Par
would be shutting the exact number, under par is less than the standard for
the whole and of course, over par would be shutting over the number of
standard shuts for the whole. Sorry for the technical errors about golf
language; I just have not had the opportunity to play the game.

Ok, if this is correct, and understanding your point, I need to know two
things.

1- What is the standard scratch so I can understand better what you want to
achieve? If I understand this correctly, you are just modifying those to get
a better sense of the winter with these 20 players, and then put it back to
the standard scratch?

2. When you said "Cat. 2 playing from 5.5 to 12.4 " what do you mean? is
5.5 to 12.4 the number of shuts per whole, game? Please be more specific
about this numbers.

3. Can I assume for all the events every calculation, including the rounded
off would be in rounds and that round is every set of shuts for each whole?
In other words, every whole is a round that it should be rounded off
following the 4 categories you described? If this is true, I don't recall
more that a 5 par in what I saw in the past. Question 2 should clarify this
too.

This reminded me of a guy that comes to town for the first time, and the
first day, his friend took him to a museum, down town, so he drives like a
fish in the water because he certainly know his town. Then after they are
going back to the house, he ask the visitor to take them home.. WHAT??? LOL.
This is the way you need to feel about explaining all about golf to me if you
want me to drive us back home... Thanks...

Here is where I got so far:
1- You have a group of players that you want to downgrade their paying
requirements from Standard to handicap, so you can measure their strength in
the winter.
2- I am assuming that this is for regular 18 holes per game.
3- The change only applies for the winter.
4- You want to be able to put the numbers in a spread sheet and then get
their numbers crushed following the 4 Categories and see where the
adjustments have to be made
5- The result of each round, would require the system to rounded off the
results.
In other words, each whole (round) must be register independently and
rounded off OR, after a whole game (18 holes) you want the system to rounded
off?

Let me know if is there that need to be clarified.

Argy

"Terry1493" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to calculate handicaps for a group of 20 players all members at
the same club. This is just to give temporary adjustments to their playing
handicaps during the winter period. We are a group who play each Monday,
Wednesday and Friday and generally we play to Stableford Rules thoughout the
winter. Naturally we would revert to Club Official Handicaps in Spring.
Many Thanks
--
tc1493

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Many thanks for your interest and reply.

playing handicap of 10 ie rounding up.

When a player plays better than the par for the course (or calculated
standard scratch which is based on par and returns from each player in the
competition. Then for example a category 2 player returning a score of say 4
better than par would have 4 x 0.2 = 0.8 taken away from his exact handicap.
in the case above the category 2 player would drop from 9.6 to 8.8 and his
playing handicap would be rounded up to 9.

For simplicity in winter we would aggregate all scores and divide by the
number playing which would give us a "standard scratch" of sorts - not an
exact science but it gives us something to play with.

You have grasped clearly the other aspects and I like your anecdote.

Regards

--
tc1493

"Terry1493" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to calculate handicaps for a group of 20 players all members at
the same club. This is just to give temporary adjustments to their playing
handicaps during the winter period. We are a group who play each Monday,
Wednesday and Friday and generally we play to Stableford Rules thoughout the
winter. Naturally we would revert to Club Official Handicaps in Spring.
Many Thanks
--
tc1493

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Terry;
I think I got your idea. I will be working on this tomorrow and probably
part of Wednesday. Please let me know how much do you know about Pivot
Tables. I am focusing the solucion in this technology. Thanks.

Argy.

"Terry1493" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to calculate handicaps for a group of 20 players all members at
the same club. This is just to give temporary adjustments to their playing
handicaps during the winter period. We are a group who play each Monday,
Wednesday and Friday and generally we play to Stableford Rules thoughout the
winter. Naturally we would revert to Club Official Handicaps in Spring.
Many Thanks
--
tc1493

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Terry!
As I was structuring your solution, I found a big piece of information
missing. Let mw know if you are still interested on the solution, so I spend
the time documenting the issue for a reason.

Argy

P.S. This is not a simple solution, or a one single calculation formula. In
order to make it work, it requieres several things that I have already
considered. Now once finish, I will need an email where to send an Excel
file. So be ready for that.