Gregory A. Wandless

Default Excel keeps checking for a floppy...

I have Excel 2003 and it keeps checking to see if there is a floppy disk in
the drive, to the point that you can't close Excel without having a floppy
in the drive. Any ideas how fix this?
Gregory A. Wandless
Chemist
US Geological Survey
MS 954
Reston, VA 20192

Email:
Phone: (703) 648-6189

swatsp0p

I'm not sure this will be it, but you can check your settings to see if the A
drive is listed as the default drive. Click ToolsOptions | General tab and
see what is listed here as 'Default file location'.

HTH

Bruce

"Gregory A. Wandless" wrote:

I have Excel 2003 and it keeps checking to see if there is a floppy disk in
the drive, to the point that you can't close Excel without having a floppy
in the drive. Any ideas how fix this?
Gregory A. Wandless
Chemist
US Geological Survey
MS 954
Reston, VA 20192

Email:
Phone: (703) 648-6189

Fredrik Wahlgren

"Gregory A. Wandless" wrote in message
I have Excel 2003 and it keeps checking to see if there is a floppy disk

in
the drive, to the point that you can't close Excel without having a floppy
in the drive. Any ideas how fix this?
Gregory A. Wandless
Chemist
US Geological Survey
MS 954
Reston, VA 20192

Email:
Phone: (703) 648-6189

Does this happen when you use a certain workbook or at all times?

/Fredrik

David

Gregory A. Wandless wrote

I have Excel 2003 and it keeps checking to see if there is a floppy
disk in the drive, to the point that you can't close Excel without
having a floppy in the drive. Any ideas how fix this?

A long shot, but open and save as many different Excel files from the HARD
DRIVE as are indicated under Tools|Options|General tab|'Recently used file
list:' (that's where it is in XL2000) and see if that helps.

--
David

Fredrik Wahlgren

"Gregory A. Wandless" wrote in message
Fredrik,

All the time, not with one specfic workbook.

I assume you have checked everything under tools|Settings. There shouldn't
be a refrence to A:\ anywhere.
Is it possible you have a macro that checks for a floppy in personal.xls
If not a macro, do you use any add-ins? I guess you could have an add-in if
the computer isn't your personal one.

/Fredrik

Dave Peterson

I liked your idea about the MRU filenames.

Gord Dibben posted this a couple of years ago for a similar problem:
http://google.co.uk/groups?threadm=9...j9% 404ax.com

Fredrik Wahlgren wrote:

"Gregory A. Wandless" wrote in message
Fredrik,

All the time, not with one specfic workbook.

I assume you have checked everything under tools|Settings. There shouldn't
be a refrence to A:\ anywhere.
Is it possible you have a macro that checks for a floppy in personal.xls
If not a macro, do you use any add-ins? I guess you could have an add-in if
the computer isn't your personal one.

/Fredrik

--

Dave Peterson
David

Dave Peterson wrote

I liked your idea about the MRU filenames.

That's what led to my suggestion of opening enough HD based files to
overwrite the MRU.

--
David

David

David wrote

Oops. Sorry.

I remembered reading the comment, but I didn't remember who wrote it.

Referring to OP's statement:

to the point that you can't close Excel without having a floppy in the
drive.

That doesn't match my experience. While my drive was polled until I
overwrote the MRU, it only occurred when Excel was first opened, not
continuously and I could still close Excel.

I guess what I'm saying is that the MRU may not be the OP's issue.

--
David
Kristi Lynn

Does this happen with any other Application? I am having a similar problem
with Word. I haven't tried the solutions yet, I'll let you know.

"David" wrote:

Gregory A. Wandless wrote

I have Excel 2003 and it keeps checking to see if there is a floppy
disk in the drive, to the point that you can't close Excel without
having a floppy in the drive. Any ideas how fix this?

A long shot, but open and save as many different Excel files from the HARD
DRIVE as are indicated under Tools|Options|General tab|'Recently used file
list:' (that's where it is in XL2000) and see if that helps.

--
David

Ken Macksey

Check under Tools, Options, General tab and make sure that the default file
location is not the floppy drive.

HTH

Ken