Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Multiplication of a cell and a number

I am a rusty excel user. I am trying to multiply a cell (H1) with a value of
50.3 times 3.28083.

I entered =sum(H1*3.28083) and get an error.

What can I do to make the formula recognize the 50.3 in cell H1?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The SUM() function is not needed, use:

=H1*3.28083
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200811

"Bobby Miller" wrote:

I am a rusty excel user. I am trying to multiply a cell (H1) with a value of
50.3 times 3.28083.

I entered =sum(H1*3.28083) and get an error.

What can I do to make the formula recognize the 50.3 in cell H1?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just
=H1*3.28083

Regards,
Stefi

Bobby Miller ezt *rta:

I am a rusty excel user. I am trying to multiply a cell (H1) with a value of
50.3 times 3.28083.

I entered =sum(H1*3.28083) and get an error.

What can I do to make the formula recognize the 50.3 in cell H1?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You don't need the SUM(). As others have said, =H1*3.28083 will do, but in
either case you shouldn't be getting an error. If you want help in a group
like this it's always as well to give a reasonably full report of the
problem, so please tell us *what* error message you got. If the error
message is #VALUE!, then the likelihood is that instead of a number in H1
you've got text. =ISNUMBER(H1) and =ISTEXT(H1) will help to confirm that.
It must be a fairly severe text problem, because with simple text that looks
like a number, Excel will usually cope with the multiplication. Change the
text to a number, so that the cell contains just 50.3, and try again.
--
David Biddulph