Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pol pol is offline

Default To calculate the working hrs of employee in excel

I have an excel sheet with opening hrs and closing hrs of the business . Then
Inhave to find out the working hrs.

A1 cell contain opeining hrs and B1 cell contain closing cell

A1 cell value = 8.50 AM
B1 Cell value = 17.40 PM.

Please hw I can find out the working hrs as 8.40 .

with thanks and regards
Pol
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=B1-A1

and format as time, such as h:mm

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"pol" wrote in message
I have an excel sheet with opening hrs and closing hrs of the business .
Then
Inhave to find out the working hrs.

A1 cell contain opeining hrs and B1 cell contain closing cell

A1 cell value = 8.50 AM
B1 Cell value = 17.40 PM.

Please hw I can find out the working hrs as 8.40 .

with thanks and regards
Pol

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Firstly, use 8:50 (with a colon) instead of 8.50 (with a full stop)
Secondly, use either 17:40 (24 hour clock) or 5:40 PM (12 hour clock)
Thirdly, if you are using the 12 hour clock, use one (and only one) space
between the 5:40 and the PM, not 2 spaces as you have
If you deal with those, =B1-A1 will give you 8:50
If you want 8:40, you'll need to subtract 10 minutes, so =B1-A1-TIME(0,10,0)
You could, of course, devise a formula to correct some of the errors above,
but you'll need to know what range of possible errors you are trying to deal
with.
--
David Biddulph