Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Changing Default Function in Pivot Tables

Whenever I create a pivot table and drag my data field to the "Data Area,"
the pivot chart uses the COUNT function rather than the SUM function. Is
there any way I can change the default back to SUM?
--
sternb
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

From Debra Dalgleish's Contextures site
(http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqPivot.html#DefaultSUM):

You can't change the default settings for the data fields. If a field
contains blank cells, or cells with text, it will default to COUNT.
Otherwise, it will SUM. There's a feature that changes all the data fields to
SUM, in my pivot table add-in, that you can download he
http://www.contextures.com/xlPivotAddIn.html

Hope this helps,

Hutch