Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default VLookup Help

I have been doing vlookups for years and now I am having problems with it,
can someone please look at this formula and see if anything sticks out as
being wrong? I am getting all #N/A's for results:
=VLOOKUP(A2,'[Talaris Account history by cust part no.
200711-200810.xls]Account History'!$E$8:$E$496,1,FALSE)

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The #N/A error means that you are not getting an exact match. You
might think that there is a match, but it might be that in one file
you have a proper number and in the other file you have a number which
is actually a text value. Here are two ways of getting round this
particular issue:

=VLOOKUP(A2*1, ... etc
or
=VLOOKUP(A2&"", ... etc

The first one converts a text number in A2 to a proper number, if you
have proper numbers in your other file, whereas the second approach
converts a number in A2 to a text value.

One other point is that the formula implies that the other file is
open, as you do not have the full-path before the filename.

I'm not sure why you are using VLOOKUP - if you find a match then it
will only return itself, as your table is only one column wide.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 31, 7:22*pm, Sorceressss
wrote:
I have been doing vlookups for years and now I am having problems with it,
can someone please look at this formula and see if anything sticks out as
being wrong? *I am getting all #N/A's for results:
=VLOOKUP(A2,'[Talaris Account history by cust part no.
200711-200810.xls]Account History'!$E$8:$E$496,1,FALSE)

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

The formula is fine so the NA# indicates no match for the data in A2. Usual
culprits are rogue spaces.

Mike

"Sorceressss" wrote:

I have been doing vlookups for years and now I am having problems with it,
can someone please look at this formula and see if anything sticks out as
being wrong? I am getting all #N/A's for results:
=VLOOKUP(A2,'[Talaris Account history by cust part no.
200711-200810.xls]Account History'!$E$8:$E$496,1,FALSE)

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, you could use a MATCH function.

Pete

wrote:
I have been doing vlookups for years and now I am having problems with it,
can someone please look at this formula and see if anything sticks out as
being wrong? *I am getting all #N/A's for results:
=VLOOKUP(A2,'[Talaris Account history by cust part no.
200711-200810.xls]Account History'!$E$8:$E$496,1,FALSE)

Thank you!- Hide quoted text -