Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Trimming down a file

I have a file that a co-worker that is 20mb with out entering any data. He
used indirect for alot of his formulas. one of the tabs ranges from A8 to
AF348, almost every cell has a indirect formula in it.
an example of one of these fomulas is below (this is in almost every cell)
with some variation
=IF(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(D$2+3,12,,,"SymTypes"))="","" ,IF(INDIRECT(ADDRESS($AJ$16+($A332-1),$AK$16,,,$AL$16))=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(D$2+3,12,,," SymTypes")),1,""))
Is there a way to make this smaller by using a different formula or using
VB. I like this file but it is just to big I have one that got as big as 56mb
Any feedback will be welcome
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Using lots of INDIRECT won't impact the size much...
it might impact the performance.

Just to test
Select the whole sheet
Copy
Paste Special|Values

Save to another file
Compare sizes...

Let us know the results...

I paste your formula as a string to the range A1:AF1000 and the size came to
about 500KB.

Are there many PIVOT tables? Any images? Excessive formatting?

"Novice Lee" wrote:

I have a file that a co-worker that is 20mb with out entering any data. He
used indirect for alot of his formulas. one of the tabs ranges from A8 to
AF348, almost every cell has a indirect formula in it.
an example of one of these fomulas is below (this is in almost every cell)
with some variation
=IF(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(D$2+3,12,,,"SymTypes"))="","" ,IF(INDIRECT(ADDRESS($AJ$16+($A332-1),$AK$16,,,$AL$16))=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(D$2+3,12,,," SymTypes")),1,""))
Is there a way to make this smaller by using a different formula or using
VB. I like this file but it is just to big I have one that got as big as 56mb
Any feedback will be welcome

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I did what you suggested on two of the tabs that have the most formulas in it
it went from 21mb to 8mb

I was wondering if I could break the two tabs into 2 seperate files can
indirect look in another file?

"Novice Lee" wrote:

I have a file that a co-worker that is 20mb with out entering any data. He
used indirect for alot of his formulas. one of the tabs ranges from A8 to
AF348, almost every cell has a indirect formula in it.
an example of one of these fomulas is below (this is in almost every cell)
with some variation
=IF(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(D$2+3,12,,,"SymTypes"))="","" ,IF(INDIRECT(ADDRESS($AJ$16+($A332-1),$AK$16,,,$AL$16))=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(D$2+3,12,,," SymTypes")),1,""))
Is there a way to make this smaller by using a different formula or using
VB. I like this file but it is just to big I have one that got as big as 56mb
Any feedback will be welcome

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It will look in whatever cell the value within it evaluates too.

I am surprised it came down.

Can you upload the file at wikisend.com and mail me the link?