Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Splitting data in multiple cells

I need help splitting names out of a cell into two. The problem I am having
is there are some cells with the first middle initial and last name where
some have just the first and last. Below is an example of what I have and
what I want to do.

Currently

1 SCOTT BRANDON
2 NEWMAN J ROBERT
3 HENDRIC A ALLAN
4 HENDRIC ALLAN

What I want
A B
1 SCOTT BRANDON
2 NEWMAN J ROBERT
3 HENDRIC A ALLAN
4 HENDRIC ALLAN

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 06:42:10 -0700, Jeremy
wrote:

I need help splitting names out of a cell into two. The problem I am having
is there are some cells with the first middle initial and last name where
some have just the first and last. Below is an example of what I have and
what I want to do.

Currently

1 SCOTT BRANDON
2 NEWMAN J ROBERT
3 HENDRIC A ALLAN
4 HENDRIC ALLAN

What I want
A B
1 SCOTT BRANDON
2 NEWMAN J ROBERT
3 HENDRIC A ALLAN
4 HENDRIC ALLAN

Here's one method. It involves extracting the Last Name (last word in the
string), and then removing that Last Name from the original.

B1: =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,C1,"",1))
C1: =TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",REPT(" ",99)),99))

Note that B1 will display the full name until you enter the formula into C1.

Fill down as required.

If all looks well, you can
Select B1:Cn
Edit/Copy
Select A1
Paste Special Values
which will replace the contents of column A as you request.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

[...]

This didn't work. It gave me zeros
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

[...]

Before or after you went through the copy | paste special values routine?

Did you copy and then paste the formulas into the appropriate cells? Or did
you possibly have a typo when you tried to "type" them into the target cell?

If both formulas are returning zeros, and you copy/pasted them correctly into
your worksheet, then your source cells contain zeros.

If your source cells were empty, the formulas return a null string.

Provide some more data, please.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I see what you are having me do now. The problem with this is that I can not
have column a in my sheet now when this is done. If a is deleted the data in
b and c will go away. This has to be split in two rows and not have a source
they are pulling from. Text to column would be nice if it left the middle
name or initial with the first and only moved the last name to b.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:44:01 -0700, Jeremy
wrote:

I see what you are having me do now. The problem with this is that I can not
have column a in my sheet now when this is done. If a is deleted the data in
b and c will go away. This has to be split in two rows and not have a source
they are pulling from. Text to column would be nice if it left the middle
name or initial with the first and only moved the last name to b.

I took that issue into account in my response.

Probably you did not follow my instructions the way I expected.

Please post the exact steps you took so we can see what the problem is.

--ron