Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old October 27th 08, 04:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Oct 2008
Posts: 1
Default How to subtract one text column based on their text column MS xls.

How to subtract one text column based on their text column MS xls.

A B
Shop 18, 55 Princes Highway BEACONSFIELD VIC 3807 VIC 3807
26 Currajong Avenue SELBY VIC 3159 VIC 3159

I want to subtract column B from column A or vice-versa

Salahuddin

  #2   Report Post  
Old October 27th 08, 04:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,805
Default How to subtract one text column based on their text column MS xls.

What do you mean subtract? In the example given by you what will be the
outcome?

"Salahuddin" wrote:

How to subtract one text column based on their text column MS xls.

A B
Shop 18, 55 Princes Highway BEACONSFIELD VIC 3807 VIC 3807
26 Currajong Avenue SELBY VIC 3159 VIC 3159

I want to subtract column B from column A or vice-versa

Salahuddin

  #3   Report Post  
Old October 27th 08, 04:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Oct 2008
Posts: 2
Default How to subtract one text column based on their text column MS

Hello Sheeloo,

Actually I want C which is A-B

for example

Shop 18, 55 Princes Highway BEACONSFIELD VIC 3807 (A) - VIC 3807 (B)

In column (C) i want it as

Shop 18, 55 Princes Highway BEACONSFIELD

same for the folloing

26 Currajong Avenue SELBY VIC 3159 (A) - VIC 3159 (B) = 26 Currajong Avenue
SELBY (C)

Cheers
Salahddin

"Sheeloo" wrote:

What do you mean subtract? In the example given by you what will be the
outcome?

"Salahuddin" wrote:

How to subtract one text column based on their text column MS xls.

A B
Shop 18, 55 Princes Highway BEACONSFIELD VIC 3807 VIC 3807
26 Currajong Avenue SELBY VIC 3159 VIC 3159

I want to subtract column B from column A or vice-versa

Salahuddin

  #4   Report Post  
Old October 27th 08, 04:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,805
Default How to subtract one text column based on their text column MS

Put this in C1 and copy down
=SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,"")

If you want to remove is at the end then you can use
=LEFT(A1, LEN(A1)-LEN(B1))

Both will leave a blank at the end...

"Salahuddin" wrote:

Hello Sheeloo,

Actually I want C which is A-B

for example

Shop 18, 55 Princes Highway BEACONSFIELD VIC 3807 (A) - VIC 3807 (B)

In column (C) i want it as

Shop 18, 55 Princes Highway BEACONSFIELD

same for the folloing

26 Currajong Avenue SELBY VIC 3159 (A) - VIC 3159 (B) = 26 Currajong Avenue
SELBY (C)

Cheers
Salahddin

"Sheeloo" wrote:

What do you mean subtract? In the example given by you what will be the
outcome?

"Salahuddin" wrote:

How to subtract one text column based on their text column MS xls.

A B
Shop 18, 55 Princes Highway BEACONSFIELD VIC 3807 VIC 3807
26 Currajong Avenue SELBY VIC 3159 VIC 3159

I want to subtract column B from column A or vice-versa

Salahuddin

  #5   Report Post  
Old October 27th 08, 04:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Oct 2008
Posts: 2
Default How to subtract one text column based on their text column MS

Hello Sheeloo

It works. Thanks for your help.

Salahuddin

"Sheeloo" wrote:

Put this in C1 and copy down
=SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,"")

If you want to remove is at the end then you can use
=LEFT(A1, LEN(A1)-LEN(B1))

Both will leave a blank at the end...

"Salahuddin" wrote:

Hello Sheeloo,

Actually I want C which is A-B

for example

Shop 18, 55 Princes Highway BEACONSFIELD VIC 3807 (A) - VIC 3807 (B)

In column (C) i want it as

Shop 18, 55 Princes Highway BEACONSFIELD

same for the folloing

26 Currajong Avenue SELBY VIC 3159 (A) - VIC 3159 (B) = 26 Currajong Avenue
SELBY (C)

Cheers
Salahddin

"Sheeloo" wrote:

What do you mean subtract? In the example given by you what will be the
outcome?

"Salahuddin" wrote:

How to subtract one text column based on their text column MS xls.

A B
Shop 18, 55 Princes Highway BEACONSFIELD VIC 3807 VIC 3807
26 Currajong Avenue SELBY VIC 3159 VIC 3159

I want to subtract column B from column A or vice-versa

Salahuddin



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Counting a mixed text/number column based on text in another colum Sierra Vista Steve Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 December 17th 06 05:30 PM
Text to column and selecting values based on a different column torooo Excel Worksheet Functions 5 October 21st 06 03:35 PM
Text to column and selecting values based on a different column [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 1 October 21st 06 03:10 AM
Text to column and selecting values based on a different column torooo Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 October 18th 06 07:27 PM
Putting text in a column based on variable text from another colum Jacky D. Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 December 16th 04 06:09 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017