Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tdp Tdp is offline

Default Checkbox name linked to a cell

How do I link a checkbox to a cell so that when the cell is renamed it also
changes the name in the checkbox?
--
Tdp
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could use an event macro that looks for a change to a particular cell and
then reacts to that typing change.

If you want to try, then rightclick on the worksheet that owns both the checkbox
and the cell that changes the caption name. Select view code and paste this
into the newly opened code window:

Option Explicit
If Target.Cells.Count 1 Then
Exit Sub 'one cell at a time
End If

If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("a1")) Is Nothing Then
Exit Sub
End If

'a checkbox from the Forms toolbar
Me.CheckBoxes("Check box 1").Caption = Target.Value

'a checkbox from the control toolbox toolbar
Me.CheckBox1.Caption = Target.Value

End Sub

I included sample code for both types of checkboxes (from the Forms toolbar and
from the Control toolbox toolbar).

You'll want to delete the code you don't need and make sure the checkbox names
are correct.

Tdp wrote:

How do I link a checkbox to a cell so that when the cell is renamed it also
changes the name in the checkbox?
--
Tdp

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tdp Tdp is offline

Thanks Dave,
Whilst I was waiting I tried different ways and came up with this one,
Is there anything wrong with the following?

UserForm1.CheckBox2.Caption = Worksheets("Sheet4").Range("C4").Value
UserForm1.CheckBox3.Caption = Worksheets("Sheet4").Range("C5").Value

Tdp

Tdp wrote:

How do I link a checkbox to a cell so that when the cell is renamed it also
changes the name in the checkbox?
--
Tdp

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is on a userform?

Do you need to change the caption that often? With each change of selection?

I would either use the the userform_initialize event to pick up the non-changing
value or if the userform is shown non-modally, then I'd use the worksheet_change
event.

Tdp wrote:

How do I link a checkbox to a cell so that when the cell is renamed it also
changes the name in the checkbox?
--
Tdp

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tdp Tdp is offline

The caption may change now and then, but I`m after the ability to change the
checkbox caption. The code I try seems to work at the moment, but what I'm
worried about if it can lead to some problems if the code is not complete?
--
Tdp

Tdp wrote:

How do I link a checkbox to a cell so that when the cell is renamed it also
changes the name in the checkbox?
--
Tdp

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why not just change the caption when the userform loads?

Option Explicit
Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
Me.CheckBox2.Caption = Worksheets("Sheet4").Range("C4").Value
Me.CheckBox3.Caption = Worksheets("Sheet4").Range("C5").Value
End Sub

Or am I missing something?