Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default VLOOKUP

I am trying to do a simple VLOOKUP formula which i have done hundreds of
times before ,but when i do the formula the only reslut in that cell is the
vlookup formula itself. it is as if I have written text into that cell and
not a formula even though it start with an =. i have tried changing the
format of the cell , but nothing seems to work

please help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

others:

=VLOOKUP(INDEX(AQ:AQ,ROW()),sym,(COLUMN(CD212)-COLUMN(AQ212))+1,FALSE)

=VLOOKUP(INDEX(A:A,ROW()),EE_Data,2,FALSE)

=VLOOKUP(AQ360,[sym.xls]sym!$AQ$100:$CD$4000,(COLUMN(CD212)-COLUMN(AQ212))+1,FALSE))

"chrishka" wrote:

I am trying to do a simple VLOOKUP formula which i have done hundreds of
times before ,but when i do the formula the only reslut in that cell is the
vlookup formula itself. it is as if I have written text into that cell and
not a formula even though it start with an =. i have tried changing the
format of the cell , but nothing seems to work

please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hope this helps, not that good at vlookup, maybe, either.
this is some work I had done in the past, but apply as needed.
recommend looking up in help..

following contains notes done in the past, sym is my sheet/file name reference
to compare sheets.

********

leave space in front of '='/ do not commit; FIND-REPLACE items ABC: 0.
file (with your backup file name), & sheet (sheet name data is on), place
file in same dir, (can modify start/ stop range from 100-4000)
1. $A ref col in this sheet (eg: $AQ), 2. $B with ref col other sheet
(open) 3. $C with lost data col other sheet 4. $AQ1 with row you place
this in/ col ref'd (eg: $AQ1 to $AQ100), 5. commit formula, copy/ paste
down
6. after copy-paste-special: values, may want to replace all 0's in
destination column (i.e.: find-replace: 0, match entire cell contents).

=IF(OR($A1={"","."},ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,[sym.xls]sym!$B$100:$C$4000,(COLUMN($C$100)-COLUMN($B$100))+1,FALSE))),"",VLOOKUP($A1,[sym.xls]sym!$B$100:$C$4000,(COLUMN($C$100)-COLUMN($B$100))+1,FALSE))

********
"chrishka" wrote:

I am trying to do a simple VLOOKUP formula which i have done hundreds of
times before ,but when i do the formula the only reslut in that cell is the
vlookup formula itself. it is as if I have written text into that cell and
not a formula even though it start with an =. i have tried changing the
format of the cell , but nothing seems to work

please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It could be a couple of things.

If you see every formula on the worksheet, then you may be looking at formulas.

In xl2003 menus:
Tools|options|view tab|uncheck formulas
(ctrl-~ (ctrl-backquote to the left of the 1/! on my USA keyboard) is the
toggle.

Or the cell could be formatted as text.
Format the cell as General (or anything but text)
Select the cell
Hit F2, then enter (to pretend to edit the formula)

--

Dave Peterson