Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GD GD is offline

Default Password protection...

I have an issue whereby I have constructed quite a detailed report using a
variety of customised formulas - it took a lot of time, patience and help off
here! My concern is in utilising it, individuals have been either accidently
or not amending or incorrectly using the formulas - or in some cases taking
the credit for the work by butchering pieces for their own projects. Is it
possible to hide and password protect formulas so the report remains
operational but users have no access to formula composition? Or is it
possible to perhaps base these in one worksheet and password protect that,
retaining wider access to other sheets for all users of the workbook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi gd

Select the cells you wish to protect, go to format cells, pick protection,
tick both boxes.
then go to tools, protect and enter your password.

tHE CELLS FORMULA ARE NOW HIDDEN.

REMEMBER PASSWORDS CAN BE BROKEN

STEW

"GD" wrote:

I have an issue whereby I have constructed quite a detailed report using a
variety of customised formulas - it took a lot of time, patience and help off
here! My concern is in utilising it, individuals have been either accidently
or not amending or incorrectly using the formulas - or in some cases taking
the credit for the work by butchering pieces for their own projects. Is it
possible to hide and password protect formulas so the report remains
operational but users have no access to formula composition? Or is it
possible to perhaps base these in one worksheet and password protect that,
retaining wider access to other sheets for all users of the workbook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Building on stew's response, something else you 'could' do, and it's
something I have done in the past, but for different reasons.

Once you create your reports and enter new data: Create a copy of the file,
change the reports from formula based to just data (i.e.: Copy the report,
paste-special: values over the top of itself so as the data is no longer
dependent on the formulas), then delete the other tabs that have all the
formulas. Use this copy as the original report that you submit to other
users. No formulas, just data, no way for them to discern anything. I am sure
you could even create a macro that might even create the separate report file
on its own.

FYI, the reason I needed to do it is my wb was so formula intensive that I
didn't want the recipients to have to worry about a possible re-calc of the
wb.

Hope this helps.
--
** John C **