Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Open in Read Only

Is there a way to open a file in read-only mode even if the file is not open
by another user? I sometimes want a file open for reference, but don't want
to prevent other people from opening and editing.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can try this...

File | Save As | in the dialog select Tools | General Options - Read Only
Recommended
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Barb W" wrote:

Is there a way to open a file in read-only mode even if the file is not open
by another user? I sometimes want a file open for reference, but don't want
to prevent other people from opening and editing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tools|Options, Security tab
Here, you can set password to open it. You can also set a password to modify
it (which will allow the user to open the file, and it will pop up a password
box to modify, they can just select read only and still open, but not be able
to modify). Check the selections, and I am sure you can figure it out.

Note: Excel security is really not that secure though.
--
John C

"Barb W" wrote:

Is there a way to open a file in read-only mode even if the file is not open
by another user? I sometimes want a file open for reference, but don't want
to prevent other people from opening and editing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ctrl + o | pop window appears | select the file | on the right hand
down side u have open option with drop down option | click that select
as u need |

On Oct 21, 9:32*pm, Barb W wrote:
Is there a way to open a file in read-only mode even if the file is not open
by another user? *I sometimes want a file open for reference, but don't want
to prevent other people from opening and editing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can change the file access with code that will execute
automatically when the workbook is opened (assume that the user allows
code to run). In the ThisWorkbook code module, use

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
ThisWorkbook.ChangeFileAccess xlReadOnly
End Sub

To change back to read/write access, run the code

Sub MakeReadWrite()
On Error Resume Next
ThisWorkbook.ChangeFileAccess xlReadWrite
End Sub

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Excel Product Group
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:32:08 -0700, Barb W
wrote:

Is there a way to open a file in read-only mode even if the file is not open
by another user? I sometimes want a file open for reference, but don't want
to prevent other people from opening and editing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

These would work in a pinch, but do involve changing the settings on what
might be someone else's file (and also involved planning ahead.....). I was
really looking for a way to just be able to open any given file in read-only
on an ad hoc basis.

"Barb W" wrote:

Is there a way to open a file in read-only mode even if the file is not open
by another user? I sometimes want a file open for reference, but don't want
to prevent other people from opening and editing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A modification of my previous reply... This code will prompt you
whether to make the workbook read-only or read-write. Click "Yes" to
open as read-only or "No" to open read-write. Put the code in the
ThisWorkbook module.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
If MsgBox("Open in read-only mode?", vbYesNo) = vbYes Then
ThisWorkbook.ChangeFileAccess xlReadOnly
Else
On Error Resume Next
ThisWorkbook.ChangeFileAccess xlReadWrite

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Excel Product Group