Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I spread numbers over several months?

I am trying to spread numbers over several months. For instance: If I have a
total of 160 hours to use I want 10% of that to go in a ship bucket. If the
hours total are less than 100 I want to spread the remaining over two months.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

soconfused wrote:
I am trying to spread numbers over several months. For instance: If I have a
total of 160 hours to use I want 10% of that to go in a ship bucket. If the
hours total are less than 100 I want to spread the remaining over two months.

The following entries will work for what you stated, although what you
stated isn't exactly clear to me. I suspect you really want to subtract
out that 10% before calculating the two-month spread. If so, change A1
to B1 in the formulas for cells C1 and D1.

A1 contains your total hours entry
B1 will contain your "ship bucket" amount, whatever that means
C1 will contain the first month's hours total
D1 will contain the second month's hours total

B1 formula =A1*0.1
C1 and D1 formula =if(A1<100, 0.5*A1, 0)

Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bill,

Thanks for responding, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe
if I set up an example that might help

Total hours Estimated Close Date date ship date Jan-09
feb-09................
160 10-17-08 9-19-09

So, the Date buckets are empty and I need to fill them. I want to take 10%
of the total hours and put it in the Sep-09 bucket and if the total hours are
101-400 I want to spread the remaining hours (160-16=144) into the next three
buckets from the Estimated close date

Thanks,

Diane

"Bill Sharpe" wrote:

soconfused wrote:
I am trying to spread numbers over several months. For instance: If I have a
total of 160 hours to use I want 10% of that to go in a ship bucket. If the
hours total are less than 100 I want to spread the remaining over two months.

The following entries will work for what you stated, although what you
stated isn't exactly clear to me. I suspect you really want to subtract
out that 10% before calculating the two-month spread. If so, change A1
to B1 in the formulas for cells C1 and D1.

A1 contains your total hours entry
B1 will contain your "ship bucket" amount, whatever that means
C1 will contain the first month's hours total
D1 will contain the second month's hours total

B1 formula =A1*0.1
C1 and D1 formula =if(A1<100, 0.5*A1, 0)

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Bill Sharpe" wrote:

soconfused wrote:
I am trying to spread numbers over several months. For instance: If I have a
total of 160 hours to use I want 10% of that to go in a ship bucket. If the
hours total are less than 100 I want to spread the remaining over two months.

The following entries will work for what you stated, although what you
stated isn't exactly clear to me. I suspect you really want to subtract
out that 10% before calculating the two-month spread. If so, change A1
to B1 in the formulas for cells C1 and D1.

A1 contains your total hours entry
B1 will contain your "ship bucket" amount, whatever that means
C1 will contain the first month's hours total
D1 will contain the second month's hours total

B1 formula =A1*0.1
C1 and D1 formula =if(A1<100, 0.5*A1, 0)

Bill

Sorry, Diane, but you have completely confused me. Your original
requirements and example requirements are significantly different.
Someone else is going to have to jump in here.

Bill