Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Subtotal multiple entries

I have spreadsheet that has duplicate entries of employee names and their
hours worked. There could up to three entries for one employee with
additional hours worked. There is regular time and overtime hours. I want to
combine the hours so that they appear all in one line like a subtotal for
each employee. I know I can use subtotal for this but I would rather use a
macro or a formula to eliminat steps.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You data layout is not clear to me but suppose you have emp ID in A1:A100,
the regular hours in B1:B100 and overtime in C1:C100. First thing to do is
get a list of each unique employee Name/ID - use the Data, Filter, Advanced
Filter, with Unique records on to generate a list of the Unique Names or ID
only. Suppose they come out in E1:E50

Now use a formula like the following in F1, be careful to use the $ sign
just as I have.
=SUMIF($A$1:$A$100,$E1,B$1:B$100)
and copy it down to F50
Then copy the range F1:F50 to G1:G50