-   -   Pivot table (totals) question ?? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/206415-pivot-table-totals-question.html)

paul

Pivot table (totals) question ??

I want to build a pivot table that will give me totals...like this...

A B
MAJOR ZIP
Accounting 10002
Accounting 10003
Accounting 10003
Accounting 10005
Biology 10005
Biology 10005
Biology 10007

So I want to build a total that will look something like this...will
tell me how many accounting people are in zip 10003 etc.

MAJOR ZIP TOTAL
Accounting 10003 2
10002 1
10005 1
Biology 10005 2
10007 1

How would I build this total? I did a =COUNT(B1) but this did not
work...

Max

Pivot table (totals) question ??

In step 3 of the pivot wizard, click Layout, then:
Place MAJOR and ZIP in ROW area, one below the other.
Double-click on MAJOR, switch off subtotals
Place ZIP in DATA area, set it to Count

In the pivot
Select any cell under Zip, click the PivotTable dropdown on the Pivot
toolbar Choose "Sort and Top 10". In the dialog, select Descending, using
field: Count of ZIP OK

That would yield your desired result:
MAJOR ZIP TOTAL
Accounting 10003 2