Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel size increase

Hi,

I have been asked to look at a workbook for someone as it is causing their
users some problems. The workbook was originally around the 2mb mark and
contains hundreds of comments and around 9 sheets. The formulas probably run
up to around 1000 maybe. At this stage users had no problem with the size and
running it. There was a problem with the comments being fixed and then trying
to filter, producing an error several hundred times over. This was in xl
2003, in 2007 they got a cannot shift objects off sheet error. To repair this
he changed all the comments individually to move and size, this only solved
the 2003 problem, not the 07 one. I think he may have added some formulas at
the same time and the size has jumped to 7mb, now users with slower computers
(particularly laptops) are experiencing crashing and serious slow down.

I have looked into it and cannot get the original 2mb file to increase to 7.
I used a macro to change all the comments over, this also solved the 2007
problem. I have copied and pasted all the information in the larger workbook
so that all the formulas etc are in place and mine still remains at 2mgb.
From what I can see they are now identical, one is 7mgb the other 2.

Any thoughts on what may have caused this?

He doesnt want to go back to the old version as he would need to do a lot of
updates so if I can figure out what has causesd this I may be able to reduce
the larger file for him.