Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default excel

i entered numbers with no format. then i formated them from the format cell.
i've used this db as input for a mail-merge document. however, when i print ,
the phone numbers are not formated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If using Microsoft Access as your db you will need to change the imput mask
to the format you desire..

"merge w/ excel" wrote:

i entered numbers with no format. then i formated them from the format cell.
i've used this db as input for a mail-merge document. however, when i print ,
the phone numbers are not formated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

First I guess I should ask, are you mail merging into Word?

That is correct, there is no bug here. Word sees the numbers not the
format. If so you would generally get better results asking a Work
discussion group but if you want to handle the problem in Excel you could
create a dummy column with the following formula:

="("&LEFT(A1,3)&") "&MID(A1,4,3)&"-"&RIGHT(A1,4)

where A1 contains your phone numbers with area codes which you want to
display as (415) 654-1234.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire