Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sorting

I have a table with names, every name is in the same cell. How Do I sort by
last name if the default order is left to right? Can I change that Order?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your requirement is not clear...
All names in one cell of Excel or each name in its own cell?
How are the names stored - last name, first name?
Can you sample data?
--
If you find this post helpful pl. choose "Yes"...

"ccontreras" wrote:

I have a table with names, every name is in the same cell. How Do I sort by
last name if the default order is left to right? Can I change that Order?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

IF you have names in Col A
then enter this in B1
=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)
and this in C1
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))
and copy down till the end of your data in A1...

This will split the name into first and last name separating on space.

You can then sort on Col C...
--

"ccontreras" wrote:

I have a table with names, every name is in the same cell. How Do I sort by
last name if the default order is left to right? Can I change that Order?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Split into two columns using DataText to Columns delimited by space or
comma.

Select both columns and sort on last name.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"ccontreras" wrote:

I have a table with names, every name is in the same cell. How Do I sort by
last name if the default order is left to right? Can I change that Order?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

I second Gord's suggestion - the method of choice is always Text to Columns,
if it does the job.

But if you are going to use formulas you can shorten the second one to read:
=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,9)

If the last names are longer than 9 characters, just increase this to 20 or
99 or whatever.

The problem with formulas is that if you need to deal with First, Middle and
Last names it becomes more complicated, while text to columns do not get more
difficult.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"ccontreras" wrote:

I have a table with names, every name is in the same cell. How Do I sort by
last name if the default order is left to right? Can I change that Order?

Sorting VLookup vs Sorting SumProduct Lauren Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 August 21st 07 12:19 AM
Sorting Erika Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 October 4th 06 04:06 PM
Sorting PJ Excel Worksheet Functions 2 September 11th 06 04:35 PM
Sorting: Sorting by the First Character dzuy Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 June 22nd 06 08:27 PM
Sorting SnobbishJade New Users to Excel 6 April 2nd 06 02:08 AM