Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Ron is offline

Default Can I show text that represents a number

I want to take a table that shows text in a column for several rows, but the
text in each row represents a number that I can average?
Here's the table - If I want the A+ to represent a number when O enter A+,
how do I do that?:
A+ 4.5
A 4
B+ 3.5
B 3
C+ 2.5
C 2
D+ 1.5
D 1
F 0

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let's say that your table is in A1:B8
In C1, I enter some text like: C+
In D1 I can use =VLOOKUP(C1,A1:B8,2,FALSE) to give me the result 2.5
Of course, your table could be on another sheet and then we use
=VLOOKUP(C1,Sheet3!A1:B9,2,FALSE)
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Ron" wrote in message
I want to take a table that shows text in a column for several rows, but
the
text in each row represents a number that I can average?
Here's the table - If I want the A+ to represent a number when O enter A+,
how do I do that?:
A+ 4.5
A 4
B+ 3.5
B 3
C+ 2.5
C 2
D+ 1.5
D 1
F 0

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

try this

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(A1:A10,{"A+";"A";"B+";"B";"C+" ;"C";"D+";"D";"F"}),{4.5;4;3.5;3;2.5;2;1.5;1;0} )/COUNTA(A1:A10)

Change the range to suit. Any text other that the grades in the range will
give an incorrect result.

Mike

"Ron" wrote:

I want to take a table that shows text in a column for several rows, but the
text in each row represents a number that I can average?
Here's the table - If I want the A+ to represent a number when O enter A+,
how do I do that?:
A+ 4.5
A 4
B+ 3.5
B 3
C+ 2.5
C 2
D+ 1.5
D 1
F 0

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For letter grades in column A:

=(COUNTIF(A:A,"A+")*4.5+COUNTIF(A:A,"A")*4+COUNTIF (A:A,"B+")*3.5+COUNTIF(A:A,"B")*3+COUNTIF(A:A,"C+" )*2.5+COUNTIF(A:A,"C")*2+COUNTIF(A:A,"D+")*1.5+COU NTIF(A:A,"D"))/COUNTA(A:A)

Thus if column A contained:

A+
C+

the formula returns 3.25