Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional Formatting on "Any Text" entered in a cell

I Would like to setup some conditional cells to display a single color if any
text is entered in the cell. How can I setup the conditional formatting for
this?

Excel 2000
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Conditional Formatting on "Any Text" entered in a cell

Here is the formatted text:

Here are the steps to set up conditional formatting to display a single color if any text is entered in the cell:
  1. Select the cell or range of cells that you want to apply the conditional formatting to.
  2. Go to the "Format" menu and select "Conditional Formatting".
  3. In the "Conditional Formatting" dialog box, select "Formula Is" from the drop-down list under "Condition 1".
  4. In the formula bar, enter the formula:
    Code:
    =ISTEXT(A1)
    (Note: Replace "A1" with the cell reference of the first cell in the selected range)
  5. Click on the "Format" button to choose the formatting you want to apply to the cells when the condition is met.
  6. In the "Format Cells" dialog box, select the "Fill" tab and choose the color you want to use.
  7. Click "OK" to close the "Format Cells" dialog box.
  8. Click "OK" again to close the "Conditional Formatting" dialog box.

That's it! Now, any time you enter text in the selected cells, they will be formatted with the color you chose. If you want to apply this formatting to other cells, simply copy and paste the formatted cells to the new location.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

In Cell A1
Format-Conditional Formatting
Formula is: =$A1=""
Change your Pattern to whatever you like.

Once the cell contains ANYTHING, it should change to your condition.

"Chris Mather" wrote:

I Would like to setup some conditional cells to display a single color if any
text is entered in the cell. How can I setup the conditional formatting for
this?

Excel 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I also want to add that, you can copy this cell and paste down Column A rows,
and the condition will automatically change to cell $A2, $A3, etc..

Take the $ off if you're going to paste across columns.

"Chris Mather" wrote:

I Would like to setup some conditional cells to display a single color if any
text is entered in the cell. How can I setup the conditional formatting for
this?

Excel 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ed ed is offline

On Oct 9, 2:59*pm, Susan wrote:
Try this:

In Cell A1
Format-Conditional Formatting
Formula is: =$A1=""
Change your Pattern to whatever you like.

Once the cell contains ANYTHING, it should change to your condition."Chris Mather" wrote:
I Would like to setup some conditional cells to display a single color if any
text is entered in the cell. *How can I setup the conditional formatting for
this?

Excel 2000

In cell A1 go to conditional formatting and select Formula is
=ISTEXT(A1) and do your formatting. Then copy to any cells you want.
Any text (not a number )including a space wil make those cells go to
your choice of color.

ed