Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel and "autosave"

I have been using "Excel" for nearly 20 years.
I soon found that the "autosave" fuction, which you could set up once at the
outset, was a real asset.
Then with Office 97 you had to set autosave every time you opened excel. A
real pain, and a retrograde step. But it was still there.
Now I find, having "progressed" to Office 2000, that autosave has apparently
disappeared, to be replaced by autorecover. Which, I don't think, unless I'm
being really stupid, does the same job at all.
How can I autosave??? Why does Microsoft take away useful functions, and
make it more difficult? As a farmer, flower, herb and veg grower, I'm
constantly abandoning work-in-hand on the computer to deal with situations,
and we have a slightly unreliable power supply. . . .and no, the answer is
not an un-interruptible supply!
Charlie Bransden

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

to Office 2000

My copy of Excel 2000 has Autosave in the list of add-ins...

--
Jim
"Farmboycharlie" wrote in message
|I have been using "Excel" for nearly 20 years.
| I soon found that the "autosave" fuction, which you could set up once at
the
| outset, was a real asset.
| Then with Office 97 you had to set autosave every time you opened excel. A
| real pain, and a retrograde step. But it was still there.
| Now I find, having "progressed" to Office 2000, that autosave has
apparently
| disappeared, to be replaced by autorecover. Which, I don't think, unless
I'm
| being really stupid, does the same job at all.
| How can I autosave??? Why does Microsoft take away useful functions, and
| make it more difficult? As a farmer, flower, herb and veg grower, I'm
| constantly abandoning work-in-hand on the computer to deal with
situations,
| and we have a slightly unreliable power supply. . . .and no, the answer is
| not an un-interruptible supply!
| Charlie Bransden

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Charlie,

In your spreadsheet in office 2000 click on tools drop the menu down and
click on Add-Ins then tick the auto-save add in box.
If you ever upgrade to 2007 this function does disappear and yes it is a pain.
I had to copy this from a workmates Office 2000 and keep it on my flash drive
--
Regards
Warren

"Farmboycharlie" wrote:

I have been using "Excel" for nearly 20 years.
I soon found that the "autosave" fuction, which you could set up once at the
outset, was a real asset.
Then with Office 97 you had to set autosave every time you opened excel. A
real pain, and a retrograde step. But it was still there.
Now I find, having "progressed" to Office 2000, that autosave has apparently
disappeared, to be replaced by autorecover. Which, I don't think, unless I'm
being really stupid, does the same job at all.
How can I autosave??? Why does Microsoft take away useful functions, and
make it more difficult? As a farmer, flower, herb and veg grower, I'm
constantly abandoning work-in-hand on the computer to deal with situations,
and we have a slightly unreliable power supply. . . .and no, the answer is
not an un-interruptible supply!
Charlie Bransden

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Autorecovery was added in xl2002. (Maybe a typo in your post???)

If you still have a copy of the autosave.xla from the old pc (xl97 or xl2k),
then they'll work with xl2002+.

Farmboycharlie wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson